Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default New user of Web Designer Premium 17 needing start-up direction please

Hi folks.

OK, here it is, I've took the plunge and decided to go with Web Designer Premium 17 for creation of niche websites to sell my pdf downloads from.

But, having read through the help manual, I'm none the wiser as how to exactly save a website template that I have chosen from the web gallery of pre-made websites.

I have chosen template vue_website from the gallery and opened it in WDP17 and I now see the website variants (three tabs) for 640px, mobile, and main, so there are three tabs open to work on.

There is also another tab opened up titled websiteinto.web which appears blank and I have no idea what this is , what it's for or what it does.

Primarily, I cannot work out how best to save this website so that I can find it later and open it to work on it.

Nor can I see in the help manual exactly the correct procedure to save a website from new, which folder it should be saved to, or how to save it to my windows 10 PC so that I can also do back-ups and or store onto back-up drives etc.

I have searched through the help manual for best practice on getting a new website template saved properly, but for the life of me I cannot find this info anywhere.

I actually thought there may have been a video somewhere (youtube?) on new website or template creation and correct method of saving it to your PC, but nope, cannot find any decent 'new user' videos anywhere either, just old videos from many years ago!

So, help or direction is required already please!

Regards Mark.

Default Re: New user of Web Designer Premium 17 needing start-up direction please

The process is easier than you think. For first time saving:

Click File > Save As
    Under Save As Type use the drop down and choose Xara Web Designer Premium (*.web)
    In File Name type a meaningful name
    Choose anywhere on your PC that catches your fancy and click Save. That's it.
    After the initial save, clicking Save or just closing the tab and choosing Save will save your edits to the same file and location.

Backing up is as simple as copying the file to a second location.

Default Re: New user of Web Designer Premium 17 needing start-up direction please

Welcome to TalkGraphics Mark

By default I think Xara saves all files in your Windows > Documents folder. I am not sure since I use a custom folder on a different drive.

Save your document and give it an appropriate name (for example: Mark's Website). When you do this, all three variants are saved in this one file.

I have no idea what websiteinto.web is for unless this is something that is linked to from the three variants.

Okay, thank you for the above answers, that helps me to get started, and then pray.

On the same note of how to save a new website properly, I see on page 78 of the help manual the section the details automatic backups from within the web designer premium software.

The default backup location created by web designer premium 17 is:
    C:\Users\MARK-8\AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesignerPremium\17\Backups
    which is obviously a folder on my PC hard drive in with the operating system etc.

If I wanted to keep my website backup files in a safe location outwith my PC, such as off-site, would the default folder named ‘Backups’ (as shown above) be the folder that I simply copy to an alternative desktop hard drive for example?

That way, in the event of my PC crashing or evaporating during the night, I would simply re-download the web designer premium software to a new PC then locate the previously copied ‘Backups’ folder and this would allow me to reinstate my website?

Regards Mark.

Yes. You can also save your work as you go along to a thumb drive or external hard drive.

This seems like the obvious move after Xara has crashed and you have lost your day's work.

You can also go to File > Open Recent... Backups to see a list of your most recent backups. If you click on the small arrow (see attached image) next to Date Modified, a drop down calendar appears which makes it easier to zero in on the specific date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	date modified.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	128787  

Thank you so much for that absolute gold nugget, that's exactly the info I was needing.

Regards Mark.

Cheers Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Books2 View Post
    If I wanted to keep my website backup files in a safe location outwith my PC, such as off-site, would the default folder named ‘Backups’ (as shown above) be the folder that I simply copy to an alternative desktop hard drive for example?
    Mark,

Utilities > Options > Backups > Automatic backup options > Backup > Browse: change drive letter and click Make new folder and name it anything.

I additionally use Dropbox as my design folder location so my masters are saved to the Cloud and my Backups to a local drive.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@books2. Welcome from the bunch of us Mark. The “save as” option is already explained.

For my backup I close all docs, but I do not exit the program.
    Go to Open, and you’ll see “open recents”. Look all the way down to “back ups”, then open the back ups folder. You’ll see the folder 17. Click that and you’ll see the window with back ups in it. Just copy that file to the thumb drive, or removable drive. This process saves everything. You can simply overwrite the files you already have.
    Again welcome!

Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.