Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Convert a Xara ASP site?

Hey y'all, I have a question for a client who used Xara to build a couple of websites. I am not familiar with the software, though I am working my way through a trial version now, so sorry if this is a dumb question. She created a site some years ago in Xara and apparently designated for it to run in ASP. I am her web-host and we no longer run a Windows web server, so she's wondering if she can convert it to PHP. Is there a way in Xara to convert a site to a different language? I know this is probably a big ask and she'll likely have to redesign the site, but I just wondered if there are any resources I can direct her to that might help her make the transition more quickly than just starting from scratch.

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

Default Re: Convert a Xara ASP site?

I also just noticed that Xara appears to offer web hosting. I would be remiss if I didn't offer her all the options. Can an older ASP site be hosted with Xara's webhosting? Whatever makes it easiest for her to get her site live again will likely be the direction she goes.

Hi Matt

I am not sure about the ASP question but I would not recommend Xara hosting (except the free version which comes with the program and is useful for doing a demo sites). Even the better hosting package is not a full service package. Your client is better off with a dedicated web hosting company.

If you are using Apache the first thing to try would be to enable the ASP module. Search the net to see how to configure it for best compatibility to IIS ASP.
    If you are changing to a sever that doesn't offer ASP support you will need to replace the ASP code with something supported by the server. There is not functionality in Xara software that will help you with this (as far as I know).

There are some ASP to PHP converters available, just do a search for: asp to php converter

For example a linux program: http://www.mikekohn.net/software/asp2php.php
    or an online tool: https://richosoft2.co.uk/resources/jspack/asp2php.html

Didn't check any of them though.

Very much appreciate the replies. After spending some time with Xara, I still dont understand how any code language was specified in the first place. When starting a new site in Xara I am not given the option to specify. Way back when I used to use Adobe InDesign and later Dreamweaver, you were given the option to specify PHP or ASP when building a new site. I was looking for some option like this. How does Xara know which language to use? Could I just specify a new hosting path and publish the site to a Linux server and Xara would figure out the rest?

matt, Xara builds static sites: no CMS, no PHP, no mySql, no state, just HTML.

That is because it can operate from a folder and does not need to be hosted.

It is possible to add PHP: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...a-Web-Designer.

If you were to point us to the current website, we could advise better.
    Failing that, the design file itself.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The site is not currently live because we took the server down, but you can view the archive version
    wahoocountrymusicshow.com
    https://web.archive.org/web/2/http:/...musicshow.com/

As a next step we're just going to try connecting the Xara site to new Linux hosting and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4w View Post
    As a next step we're just going to try connecting the Xara site to new Linux hosting and see what happens.
    the proper way is to publish into the domain or Export website locally and FTP.

I wouldn't copy & paste an existing deployed site.

There is nothing in the index page the Wayback Engine showing any ASP dependencies that I can determine so you may be fortunate.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 27 January 2021 at 07:53 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hey all, just wanted to give an update. We went ahead and just changed the credentials to the new site and re-published. Everything more or less worked. The client is still reviewing the site to see what changes may be needed, but we've avoided a huge workaround. Thanks for everyone's help!