Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Typewriter font with ligatures?

My wife and I are presently reading a book, The Silence by Don Delillo. The book is designed by a very trendy outfit in New York http://paulsahre.com/

The book which is very short is set entirely in what looks similar to American Typewriter. But the designer has used ligatures. I have to wonder, he is a youngish designer, if he even realizes that typewriters did not have ligatures or if he just automatically had ligatures enabled as a default setting.

Sticks out like a hog on a sofa to me but probably not to a generation that have never known typewriters.

Attached is an example I did with American Typewriter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.png 
Views:	211 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	128723  

Default Re: Typewriter font with ligatures?

Naw, the mechanical typewriter has just never been serviced and the ribbon is leaky.
    Or even a custom-made manual typewriter with extra ligature keys...

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 22 January 2021 at 05:13 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    ... I have to wonder, he is a youngish designer, if he even realizes that typewriters did not have ligatures or if he just automatically had ligatures enabled as a default setting. ...
    Certain OpenType features are suppose to be enabled as a default per the OT Specification, standard ligatures being one such feature.

So, the question to me would be: Did the designer make a conscious choice to leave the feature turned on?

My guess is Mike, after looking at his photo, mid-30s maybe, the thought never occurred to him.

His wife is no slouch either. She is a partner at Pentagram, one of the best design firms in the world. I bet she would know to disable ligatures if she were using a typewriter font.

He's probably very flattered by "mid-30s" since he was born in 1964 - Making him 56-57.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Maybe he used an old photo of himself?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    His wife is no slouch either. She is a partner at Pentagram, one of the best design firms in the world. I bet she would know to disable ligatures if she were using a typewriter font.
    Artistic freedom.