Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How do I give a supersite a unique filename instead of index using xara's publish

How do I give a supersite a unique filename instead of index using xara's publish option instead of export option. Thanks.

Default Re: How do I give a supersite a unique filename instead of index using xara's publish

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
    How do I give a supersite a unique filename instead of index using Xara's publish option instead of export option. Thanks.
    I may have answered this question in response to your earlier post: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...ertain-changes

Gary

Default Re: How do I give a supersite a unique filename instead of index using xara's publish

Yes you did, thank you. (I didn't see it before I posted this). I don't believe I can delete this post.

I’ve the same question gentlemen, but it’s not a supersite. Can one change the name ‘index’ to a different name?
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Bill - You can call your index page any name you want. But if this is your landing page then your web address has to include your page name. So if your landing page is dogs&cats.htm the your address has to be www.mywebsite.com/dogs&cats.htm

The browser looks at www.mywebsite.com and if it finds an index.htm or index.html then it automatically loads that page.

There is some confusion in Xara between File Name (index.htm) and Page Name (e.g. My website for Dogs & Cats)

Info Re: How do I give a supersite a unique filename instead of index using xara's publish

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    I’ve the same question gentlemen, but it’s not a supersite. Can one change the name ‘index’ to a different name?
    -Bill
    Bill, you can name the first page in your design as anything: Web properties > Page filename: bill`s most excellent website [instead of index]
    You would then have a site URL of hostname/bill`s most excellent website [instead of index].htm & all the site assets would appear under a folder: hostname/bill%60s%20most%20excellent%20website%20[instead%20of%20index]_htm_files

Perhaps you can see the problem.
    When a visitor puts hostname (your website) into a browser address bar, s/he is taken to hostname/index.htm or hostname/index.html automatically.
    You would otherwise have to advise the full URL or change your .htaccess file to redirect hostname to your fulsome address.

Evan a less extravagant change will still need some .htaccess crafting.
    You could instead set up a dummy index page with a JavaScript or META redirect page name without altering anything else.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    There is some confusion in Xara between File Name (index.htm) and Page Name (e.g. My website for Dogs & Cats)
    Gary, the Page title is what appears in the top middle of the browser and the Browser tab.

If someone fails to add a Page title to the page design then the Page filename is presented to both instead.

No confusion.

Acorn

P.S. SNAP!
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank You @@acorn and @gwpriester. Well explained.

W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.