Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problems with new rotation handle

Hi,

The new Xara Photo & Graphics Designer (17.1 from Dec. 10th, 2020) implements new resizing and rotation handles.

Recently, I have produced several round scale-like images (think about a speed meter in your car). For doing that, I did use the star quickshape to evenly split the circle. Then, I have drawn a line from center to the edge of the scale (see the image). Then the rotation center was set to the center of the scale, and then I have rotated the line while leaving stamps (mouse right click) at the wanted spot.

To make it more precise, I have zoomed to the end of the line at the edge. The old rotation handle always appeared near the corner of the envelope rectangle. So, it was easy to use it even with big zoom. However, the new handle is not reachable when zooming too much.

How would you rotate the object in such situation?

Thanks and have a nice day,
    Petr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-01-22_224305.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	128725

Name:	2021-01-22_224341.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	128726

Default Re: Problems with new rotation handle

Quote Originally Posted by pepr View Post
    Hi,

The new Xara Photo & Graphics Designer (17.1 from Dec. 10th, 2020) implements new resizing and rotation handles.

Recently, I have produced several round scale-like images (think about a speed meter in your car). For doing that, I did use the star quickshape to evenly split the circle. Then, I have drawn a line from center to the edge of the scale (see the image). Then the rotation center was set to the center of the scale, and then I have rotated the line while leaving stamps (mouse right click) at the wanted spot.

To make it more precise, I have zoomed to the end of the line at the edge. The old rotation handle always appeared near the corner of the envelope rectangle. So, it was easy to use it even with big zoom. However, the new handle is not reachable when zooming too much.

How would you rotate the object in such situation?

Thanks and have a nice day,
    Petr

Name:	2021-01-22_224305.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	128725

Name:	2021-01-22_224341.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	128726
    Hover just outside the corner selection points and a left-right arrow appears with Status Line text of "Drag to rotate the selected object round the rotation centre." This is as in the old-style controls. The blob on a stick is additional and is Xara being anal.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Petr

I would go to Page Options > General and change the Angle of Rotation setting to the degrees you want between each line.

Add your first line.

Drag the center of rotation bullseye to the center rotation point.

Then hold down the Ctrl key drag and right click as you have been doing.

The Ctrl key will constrain the degree of rotation to what you set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angle of rotation.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	128727  

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Hover just outside the corner selection points and a left-right arrow appears with Status Line text of "Drag to rotate the selected object round the rotation centre." This is as in the old-style controls. The blob on a stick is additional and is Xara being anal.

Acorn
    Oh, thanks! I only have not noticed that.

Have a nice day

Thanks, Gary,

This is a good alternative, indeed.

Have a nice day,
    Petr

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hi Petr

I would go to Page Options > General and change the Angle of Rotation setting to the degrees you want between each line.

Add your first line.

Drag the center of rotation bullseye to the center rotation point.

Then hold down the Ctrl key drag and right click as you have been doing.

The Ctrl key will constrain the degree of rotation to what you set up.