Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Appearance of posted site

I've recently found my site was in a mess and I've today sorted almost everything. However, I notice two things:

1 the site (with the exception of the navigation bar, is shifted to the left of the screen. It was formerly in the middle.

2 The navigation bar has not moved and sits doggedly where it was originally.

I'm sure this is a basic error and apologise in advance.

Flip

* My site is www.philiphowells.co.uk

Default Re: Appearance of posted site

I like the part about how to read your books. :-)

I suspect the nav bar is set to Sticky. Right click on the nav bar and select Web Sticky/Stretchy and make sure Sticky or Stick to Top is not checked. And yes it does appear to be stuck to the left. Someone will have an answer to that one.

There are dozens of Nav Bars in the Online Content Catalog, almost any one of which would be better than what you have. I think updating your nav bar will help the look of your site.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I like the part about how to read your books. :-)

I suspect the nav bar is set to Sticky. Right click on the nav bar and select Web Sticky/Stretchy and make sure Sticky or Stick to Top is not checked. And yes it does appear to be stuck to the left. Someone will have an answer to that one.

There are dozens of Nav Bars in the Online Content Catalog, almost any one of which would be better than what you have. I think updating your nav bar will help the look of your site.

Since it's late (here, anyway) may I stick to Sir?

Many thanks for your help and for the suggestion. I'll wait for the cavalry to arrive regarding the positioning.

It's been so long since I last touched the site - plus I'm retired so I don't have anyone else to produce for - but I will get ore conversant again.

As for my How to - page, Stephen King (yes that one) recently wrote a book about writing in which he said that maybe a dozen or 20 novelists actually make a good living these days. His advice was first that the author should write for his own pleasure and second for the pleasure of his readers and regard everything else as a bonus.

Fortunately, I love writing, always have, and happily enough people get enjoyment reading my stories to make it doubly worthwhile.

Many thanks for your prompt help.

Regards

Philip

Phillip,

Your site: http://www.philiphowells.co.uk/

I can see you changed the Navbar, but that the site stays to the left side of the browser. You have a published Xara error that can seen when you inspect the site (in Chrome right-click inspect).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Philip Howells_Chrome Inspect.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	128699

To resolve the issue:

(1) can you confirm that this issue exists when you locally preview your site? Can you confirm when you republished your site (assume last night) whether Fast Publish was checked or unchecked?

(2) it should be relatively simple to find the problem - easiest way in this instance is to copy your index page, paste it into a new Xara file and upload it by reply (to do so reply with Go Advanced, scroll down to Manage Attachments and upload your .web or .xar file).

What I assume you expect to see is something like this :https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/ph/ I can provide you with the Navbar example should you want to use it - it uses named colours so you can change the colours, as well as the links and fonts easily. It is a standard Xara Navbar structure, only the text stays as text so it does not become blurry when magnified.

Not sure what Xara version you have, but if > v16 you can use Export Options and Scale-to-fit-Width (which I have done in the example). It should read OK on a tablet, but tight on a mobile.

Gary
    Last edited by Initiostar; 18 January 2021 at 11:03 AM.

Exclamation Re: Appearance of posted site

flip, you have added the following to the website/page code (head) incorrectly:
    <script data-ad-client="ca-pub-3522704268144996" async="" src="https://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js" data-checked-head="true"><script>
    It should end with </script>

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Duplicate post sorry
    Last edited by flip; 18 January 2021 at 07:26 PM. Reason: duplicate

Thank you very much. I noticed that clip to edges box was checked - either default or error though I didn't know what it did until now. I realised something else was wrong because my attempt to create a new site also had the pages on the left.

I also corrected the code that was auto-copied from google.

Many many thanks for your help.

Philip

As for my How to - page, Stephen King (yes that one) recently wrote a book about writing in which he said that maybe a dozen or 20 novelists actually make a good living these days.
    Yes, my wife is a writer and not one of the 20 sadly. We read King's book and loved his no BS approach. My wife thinks it is the best of all the how to write books.