Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Links in grouped objects don't work

Hi,
    I'm finding Xara Web Designer immensely frustrating. I've finally managed to build my website with 3 variants, but I can't upload it yet because the links in my footer don't work. My footer consists of a grey box and 2 text boxes over the top of it. There are hyperlinks in one of the text boxes, but in order to get the three objects to work together as a footer, I've grouped them and made the group a push object. If I ungroup them, I can't have them all being push objects because they obvioulsy push eachother, and I end up with them separated out. I need them to be grouped so that the page will automatically extend when I add more content. However, it seems that when they are grouped, the hyperlinks don't work! I am on the verge of throwing Xara out the window, so I really hope someone has a simple solution to this infuriating problem! Thanks very much in advance.

Default Re: Links in grouped objects don't work

Ungroup the footer, marquee select all objects in the footer then:

File > Page options > Auto-Fit To Page (button) > Deselect Automatic (checkbox) > Bottom (radio button) > OK

Deselect all the objects and select the grey box. Apply push.

Leave the window closed, no need to throw Xara through it

I would remove Push, UnGroup, Soft-Group, apply Push.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Just to add a 3rd option - my choice would be to remove push, ungroup, pin to bottom of page and adjust the page length by dragging. The footer will follow like a faithful puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Just to add a 3rd option - my choice would be to remove push, ungroup, pin to bottom of page and adjust the page length by dragging. The footer will follow like a faithful puppy.
    +1, but you have to know what you are doing especially if you are mixing Push and Auto-fit to Bottom.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Welcome to TalkGraphics. As long as the objects are designated footer, and set to repeat on all pages I don't think they need to be grouped. Do they?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics. As long as the objects are designated footer, and set to repeat on all pages I don't think they need to be grouped. Do they?
    Gary, they do not but when changing a design a soft-group is very handy.

The point to note is that a Group of objects returns a single image, losing individual links. Later versions allow Grouped (Web Properties > Image > Group images > Separate images for group members: pick) to retain Links. Luckily this also keeps text as a Font object.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    (Web Properties > Image > Group images > Separate images for group members: pick)
    Acorn
    reason #4 for not throwing Xara through the window. Probably the quickest method too, although you'd have to remove the link, click the Separate Images For Group Members and then relink the text.

Wink Re: Links in grouped objects don't work

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    reason #4 for not throwing Xara through the window. Probably the quickest method too, although you'd have to remove the link, click the Separate Images For Group Members and then relink the text.
    Agreed Chris. Though my all time favourite has to be:
    Alt-U-W-Enter-Ctrl+Tab-Ctrl+Tab-Shift+Tab-Shift+Tab-Shift+Tab-Shift+Tab-Shift+Tab-↓-Enter

Acorn

Yeah, why didn't I think of that, Acorn. It's so memorable.