Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can I make a variant that is lareger that the main page?

Hello! I'm revamping an older project that used a 960 width resolution as the main. There are 3 variants smaller, but, with the larger monitors these days I need a 1440 wide (or so). I tried the "fit to width" option and it looks pretty clunky at 1920 so I want to create a larger variant, but not sure if it will work. Plese advise your thoughts.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ed

Default Re: Can I make a variant that is lareger that the main page?

I tend to use a wider format for more modern looking sites.

You can go to File > Page Options > Page Size and select Custom from the drop down box. Being lazy, I pick Tumblr Post (1280 x 1920). I leave the mobile variant at 480px and set Web Export Options to Scale to Fit Width.

Try the above sizes and play around with different widths and see which looks best for your content.

I tried the "fit to width" option and it looks pretty clunky at 1920 so I want to create a larger variant, but not sure if it will work.
    You can set the maximum width in the 'Fit to Width'. Set it at 1440 and it wont expand any larger.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Page widths of 1920 are hard to pull off, I have no idea why you would build a page at anything like that width.

I'd like to see some examples of pages that have a width like that. You may change my opinion.

Paul I don't think ET was trying to create a website 1920 wide, he just stated that if he used 'fit to width' the site looked clunky at 1920. I belive his intention is to expand his current main page from 960 to 1440.

I'm not a great lover over 'overly' wide webpages either, just because you can do it doesn't mean you have to.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Info Re: Can I make a variant that is lareger that the main page?

Quote Originally Posted by eeetee View Post
    Hello! I'm revamping an older project that used a 960 width resolution as the main. There are 3 variants smaller, but, with the larger monitors these days I need a 1440 wide (or so). I tried the "fit to width" option and it looks pretty clunky at 1920 so I want to create a larger variant, but not sure if it will work. Plese advise your thoughts.
    Thanks in advance, Ed
    Ed, the quick answer is yes a Variant can be wider than Main.

If I was revamping and I had 3 Variants (Main-960, Variant1-720, Variant2-480) my approach would be:
    1. Main-960 > Website properties > Properties Button > Page width: change 960 to 1280.
    2. Variant1-720 > Website properties > Properties Button > Page width: change 720 to 960.
    3. Variant2-480 > Website properties > Delete.
    4. For each Main page:
      1. Utilities > Options > Page Size > Width: 1280
      2. Unlock Everything (click All layers/objects editable in Page & Layer gallery)
      3. Corner-drag to scale to new width
      4. Relock
      5. Resize Page Height

5. For each Variant page:
      1. Utilities > Options > Page Size > Width: 960
      2. Unlock Everything (click All layers/objects editable in Page & Layer gallery)
      3. Corner-drag to scale to new width
      4. Relock
      5. Resize Page Height

6. [v17+]: Web Properties > Export > Scale to fit width: maximum - set to 1440px
    7. [v15-v17]: Utilities > Web export options > ditto

No need to worry about Main having a larger Variant.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

960 for a mobile variant? Don't you think that too too much? What size font would you use for Open Sans, or any common web font?

Info Re: Can I make a variant that is lareger that the main page?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    960 for a mobile variant? Don't you think that too too much? What size font would you use for Open Sans, or any common web font?
    Chris, my idea was only based on the scaling up of an existing web design. 960 wide will be quite large so on a phone it scales back down to manageable viewing. I purposely did not suggest changing font size as you are then into a redesign; my suggestion is making the current design bigger or smaller.

The point is you can adjust the width and rescale as you choose. Set to 720, 640 or smaller.
    The trick is to establish when a cut-down mobile view is most appropriate.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ah, got it. A lot of people have asked about page sizes for variants in one way or another and 960 seemed rather 'out there'. I thought I might be missing something and started feeling left out.

Thank you for all your replies! This is the best place to be able to find many approaches to solving issues!
    Thanks again to all!
    Ed