Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Lightbulb PDF export: Flatten all overlapping bitmaps with transperences

hi,

i have some artworks with several overlapping bitmaps with transperences and other effects which i have to export to PDF.

in order to make the pdf smaller and simpler, i mark the bitmaps,
    make a bitmapcopy and than export the page to pdf,

is ther anyway to make it within pdf export?
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Default Re: PDF export: Flatten all overlapping bitmaps with transperences

I think what you are doing is the best, and the safest way.

If you have modified a photo, you can click Arrange > Flatten Photo Group. This creates a single bitmap and adds all the changes.

I export multi-layered maps with varying types of transparencies applied that don't require the flattened state. When I export them to PDF or PSD formats, I get an error message stating that some of the transparency effects won't translate - and I never have any problems, they all translate to PDF or PSD no problem. My PDFs go to commercial printing houses, and my PSD go to publishers - and they never complain about the files I send. So an error message with no real purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I export multi-layered maps with varying types of transparencies applied that don't require the flattened state. When I export them to PDF or PSD formats, I get an error message stating that some of the transparency effects won't translate - and I never have any problems, they all translate to PDF or PSD no problem. My PDFs go to commercial printing houses, and my PSD go to publishers - and they never complain about the files I send. So an error message with no real purpose.
    so if PDF and PSD exports work the message has no purpose... humm there are other senarios you know
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

No, it's I've exported to PSD/PDF this way from Xara for years, never had a problem. In XDP 11, which I have, the error suddenly came up and I feared the problem, as I didn't want to move to a different application, but upon sending the file the PSD to Photoshop and it read fine, and having sent PDFx1a files to commercial printers from Xara, both no problem - but the error always shows up right before export.

is it an error message or just a warning that it might not work ?

not all transparencies will export under all cicumstances

the message I dislike most is the one that tells me that my imported PNG would be better converted to a JPG, because that is just inane unless of course the program is psychic
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think it's a warning that it may not work - it works though. Agree on the point of PNG conversion to JPG, since I most often import PNG with Alpha channel transparency applied - JPG doesn't do transparency.