Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Template goes missiing if not used

Since my primary use of Pro+ is for making stereograms, I will frequently leave a blank custom template, 6 pages with filled rectangles and various objects I used all the time, open for the next day.

If I do not add anything to the template, it is gone the next day and replaced with my default template. I know I could make my stereogram template my default template but I don't want to do this.

Not a huge loss, but just a little annoying.

Default Re: Template goes missiing if not used

Gary, are you at all saving the file with File > Save Template?
    I have 6 redesigned templates I regularly use and have never lost any.

No need to then keep it open. File > New > Template.
    Key Press: Alt-F-N-↑↑↑-Enter will open the last saved Template, if you have not amended the XML file.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

out of interest what keystroke is the three arrows?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    out of interest what keystroke is the three arrows?
    The Up Arrow three times.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, after 25 years, I am perfectly capable of opening Xara, and from File > New... opening my template.
    If I move one element in the new template, and exit, then the next time I open Pro+ or Pro X, the template will be there. But if the template has been opened, even though unused, it should remain l open the next time the app is opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    The Up Arrow three times.

Acorn
    ok so if I do that it will open the 'custom' template on my menu - is that the same as 'last saved template' ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Acorn, after 25 years, I am perfectly capable of opening Xara, and from File > New... opening my template.
    If I move one element in the new template, and exit, then the next time I open Pro+ or Pro X, the template will be there. But if the template has been opened, even though unused, it should remain l open the next time the app is opened.
    Gary, there was no offence offered. i was trying to determine where your application was failing you.

I leave things open in XPro+ all the time and never lose them until I have an application crash.
    You have advised previously on having to re-activate XPro+ on an almost daily basis.

It would seem that the two cases are related.

My next enquiry might have been for you to close and re-open your application to check if the new file created from your template was still there immediately and also on the following day.

As you said it is something that can be lived with.

Acorn

Acorn - If I open a new custom template in Pro X or Pro+ and do not do anything, just exit the program, when I reopen, the template is gone. Both versions of 17.

The problem with logging in happens when I install an update, or the program closed unexpectedly. Otherwise all is good if after being asked to log in, I close and then Run as Administrator so I don't think the two are related.

Go to File > New... and open any template. Do not do anything. Exit out and reopen Pro+. Is that template still there?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok so if I do that it will open the 'custom' template on my menu - is that the same as 'last saved template' ?
    Your Templates are store in a folder: C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro+\Templates\ENG\.
    Alonside is a Templates.xml file.

If you edit this in a text editor, you can rearrange the order and change the description of your template list.

Regardless of the ordering, a newly added template always seems to be listed immediately above Animation & Blank photo.
    I then add in the new template to my re-ordered list and sanity is restored.

On my set-up, invoking Custom appears as an A4 Portrait Print document, so "custom" and "last saved template" are two distinct XAR files.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Acorn - If I open a new custom template in Pro X or Pro+ and do not do anything, just exit the program, when I reopen, the template is gone. Both versions of 17.
    The problem with logging in happens when I install an update, or the program closed unexpectedly. Otherwise all is good if after being asked to log in, I close and then Run as Administrator so I don't think the two are related.
    Go to File > New... and open any template. Do not do anything. Exit out and reopen Pro+. Is that template still there?
    Gary, that behaviour has been there since at least version10.

It might be I work differently to you and if I have opened a template it is usually auto backed up by the time I close the application.

Try switching to the Text tool and clicking the canvas, closing and re-opening.
    Mine sticks and it has no History. The key thing is there must be a * after Untitlednn (e.g., Untitled2 *) for Xara to save internally and re-open the document.

In you Backups folder, Xara only adds a OpenDocList_0000nnnn_XtremeProSub.txt file whenever a backup is due and a change has occurred since the last file.
    An unmarked Untitlednn file is therefore not seen as a change and it never recorded.

It is acting the same way if you were to press Save. Nothing is added to the Recent File List as no change was made.

I also have Options > Backups set to backup and restore on open & close.

Acorn