Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug That files seems to be empty

Hi,
    I panicked again?

Tried to open the webfile in XDpro x 17 (not updated)

and to my surprise an error pop up said "that file seems to be empty"

I had opened this website file yesterday 13th Jan 2021 normal routine website updates as usual no problems.

Today or this morning however when i tried to open from recents and the error flagged up "that file seems to be empty"

i tried to open the file directly from Google Drive Sync same error message.

I immediately looked for a recent back up but only found one from 6th Jan 2021 so basically i lost 8 days of updates

I found the most recent back up from 6th Jan and renamed it and had to re-enter all the previous 8 days updates.

My auto backups are set for every 40 mins as this used to interfer at times when set to 10 mins.

Why does the file simply VANISH? /Empty - this has happened several times before and have asked about this in previous posts?

Last time this happened was after a microsoft update Win 10 Pro i had to reinstall the XDpro 17 and that was awkward as i didnt pay for the updated latest version and i was able to get an original copy otherwise it would have reverted back to pro x 16
    and now have just had another win 10 pro update? why would the actual file just vanish?

Its mind boggling i have over 60 web website files stored in Drive sync folder how can i prevent any of them just becoming empty at any given random time? I am thinking its time to just pay up! get the Xara Designer pro + and just pay up every year hopefuly this will solve the problem.

Kind regards
    Condor
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14 Jan 2021.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	128677

Default Re: That files seems to be empty

Ouch!

Did you try: File > Open Recent: > Backups?

In the search window, click Date Modified and a calendar will appear. You can select a specific date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Date Modified.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	128678  

Hi Gary,

Yes thats the first place I looked.

Did not know about the date modified bit thats useful to know in future, many thanks for that tip!!

Unfortunately the last version was backed up on 6th Jan 2021
    as my updates only took 15 to 20 mins xdp 17 didn't make any auto backups as i have delayed them to 40 mins

My main concern is that the file simply becomes empty at any given random time?
    Kind regards
    Condor

I take the file has not actually vanished, only the contents ?

either way, that sounds to me like a file system corruption - the pointers that are used to direct the program to where the content actually is on disk are missing/incorrect/broken

that is unlikely to be caused simply by a windows update - but it might happen if the file is moved before it has finished saving

it might also happen i disk or memory are faulty. or if there are too many backup/AV/tuneup programs all 'getting in each other's way'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

sorry to jump in,

Gary, where do you click exactly "click Date Modified and a calendar will appear."

im searching for this since years???
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I take the file has not actually vanished, only the contents ?

either way, that sounds to me like a file system corruption - the pointers that are used to direct the program to where the content actually is on disk are missing/incorrect/broken

that is unlikely to be caused simply by a windows update - but it might happen if the file is moved before it has finished saving

it might also happen i disk or memory are faulty. or if there are too many backup/AV/tuneup programs all 'getting in each other's way'
    Yes Handrawn that may be it!! My AVG and AVG Tuneup and Revo Uninstaller, I clear out junk files with Revo and run the Avg Tuneup and this may be the cause
    yes the file is still there to open just no contents

Gary, where do you click exactly "click Date Modified and a calendar will appear."
    Click the small down facing triangle next to Date Modified (see my screen shot above).

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Click the small down facing triangle next to Date Modified (see my screen shot above).
    THANK YOU !
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.