Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Named Colors removes '_' from name

Hi All,

I've been using Xara for over a decade - love the software.

Just purchased a new Roland BN-20 printer/cutter with a white channel.

To send white channel information to Roland VersaWorks I need a spot color called RDG_WHITE

Have run into a bit of an issue with Xara, the color edit process replaces '_' with a space ' ' which is then not recognized as the white channel in VersaWorks.

Has anyone else run into this problem and/or has a work around/solution? I really don't want to go to Coral Draw or AI...

Thanks

DK
    Last edited by Kiteboardshaper; 12 January 2021 at 01:04 PM.

Default Re: Named Colors removes '_' from name

Welcome to TalkGraphics DK. I have no idea but check back. I am certain there will be some solutions.

You are saying the underscore is being replaced with a dash?

DK, try with RDG&_WHITE.

The Spot Colour than presents as
    RDG_WHITE.

No guarantees.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks mate - sorry - just edited the above.

When I name a color:

RDG_WHITE

Xara will replace the _ with a space and give me:

RDG WHITE

I've dived into the text of a simple .PS file export and confirmed the spot color is being exported without the '_'

Cheers

DK

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    DK, try with RDG&_WHITE.

The Spot Colour than presents as
    RDG_WHITE.

No guarantees.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

Thank you for that excellent suggestion.

In Xara itself the color is now appears to be named RDG_WHITE, however looking at the EPS/AI file text the color name on export is now RDG@ WHITE

Seems like I might be stuck.

Cheers

DK

@DK, any chance you can search and replace the output in a text editor?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @DK, any chance you can search and replace the output in a text editor?

Acorn
    I had thought about that one - but Roland VersaWorks crashes on opening a EPS I hand modify - that would have be an easy Python script if it worked...

Cheers

DK

I have moved this thread to Dear Xara for reporting bugs and feature requests.

Just so you know: I registered only to answer your question, because i had to search everywhere too to find a solution.

VersaWorks has a menu where you can define spot colors and THERE you can also define spot color aliases. So if you name the color WHITE in xara you can map WHITE to RDG_WHITE with versaworks.
    This german article helped me a lot, you need to look at the pictures or translate the page:
    https://www.rolanddg.eu/de/blog/2017...ben-umbenennen

Basically you need to go in VersaWork to Edit -> Spot Color Settings -> Create New Library -> Create New Spot Color White->RDG_White (Better you dont try to map from RDG WHITE to RDG_WHITE....)

Ok, so after i have done that i tried loading a XARA EPS, but this did not work, next i tried a custom XARA PDF (PDF/X-3 2003...)
    ------------------AND THIS DID WORK.-----------------------------
    I had to change the print mode from CMYK to White -> CMYK and then versaworks showed me the white color as pink diagonal lines...

lucian

Quote Originally Posted by luciancd View Post
    Just so you know: I registered only to answer your question, because i had to search everywhere too to find a solution.

VersaWorks has a menu where you can define spot colors and THERE you can also define spot color aliases. So if you name the color WHITE in xara you can map WHITE to RDG_WHITE with versaworks.
    This german article helped me a lot, you need to look at the pictures or translate the page:
    https://www.rolanddg.eu/de/blog/2017...ben-umbenennen

Basically you need to go in VersaWork to Edit -> Spot Color Settings -> Create New Library -> Create New Spot Color White->RDG_White (Better you dont try to map from RDG WHITE to RDG_WHITE....)

Ok, so after i have done that i tried loading a XARA EPS, but this did not work, next i tried a custom XARA PDF (PDF/X-3 2003...)
    ------------------AND THIS DID WORK.-----------------------------
    I had to change the print mode from CMYK to White -> CMYK and then versaworks showed me the white color as pink diagonal lines...

lucian
    Lucian, thanks for going to all the trouble.

Acorn