Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara Designer Pro X 17 new user questions

Hello. This is my first post here. Hope everyone is doing well. This last December, my daughter purchased Xara Designer Pro X 17 as a present for me. I've wanted a copy for a while now. I have been using CorelDRAW for almost 30 years (since 1991 - version 2) and I'm currently using CDGS 2017. They pretty much discontinued upgrades in favor of a subscription plan (BTW, no offense, but I don't do subscriptions for software.) I was using Xara Xtreme 5, and I loved the way it handled text. In CDGS you have to convert the text between artistic and paragraph to do what Xara Designer Pro X 17 does on the fly. I do have some questions:
    1. When exporting PDFs, I lose my page names on multiple page projects. In CorelDRAW, the page names are converted into bookmarks. Is there a way to fix that?
    2. The second question has to do with the upgrade service. It seems that I have a year's service included with my purchase. (By the way, the backup DVD was purchased as well.) What I wanted to know is, if I switched computers, and did a reinstall from the disc, would I be able to download the updates I had after the year is over without purchasing the additional service?
    Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Joe

Default Re: Xara Designer Pro X 17 new user questions

1. When exporting PDFs, I lose my page names on multiple page projects. In CorelDRAW, the page names are converted into bookmarks. Is there a way to fix that?
    Within the PDF Export dialogue box select Advanced Options / Layers and ensure Generate Bookmarks is checked - with Adobe Reader you will see the page thumbnails, but you can select the file symbol to show exported page names. This option is however greyed out for Commercial printing as you might expect. There are lots of custom options too.

2. The second question has to do with the upgrade service. It seems that I have a year's service included with my purchase. (By the way, the backup DVD was purchased as well.) What I wanted to know is, if I switched computers, and did a reinstall from the disc, would I be able to download the updates I had after the year is over without purchasing the additional service?

Yes, correct when you purchase Xara software from Magix, you receive any updates to that software in the following 12 months together with Magix support should you need it. Thereafter, you have the option to renew that update service for a further period of 12 months. Should you choose not to do so, then you will not be able to access any updates or seek support. For example, after update service expiry you can download the last major release e.g. v17.0, but point releases e.g. v17.1 (as I understand) would not be available. The corollary to that is should there be a major update in your active service period, that becomes the fullback release available via your Magix Account product downloads page. There is lots written about the Magix Update Service on this forum (via search), but should you chose not to renew then it is best to download the Online Catalogue before your update service expires. The latter is well documented on this forum too.

Welcome to TalkGraphics Joe

I have been using Xara since 1996 when I saw a demo at Rick Altman's CorelWORLD, Dallas I think it was.

Thank you so much for your reply. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I can download all the updates/patches up until the service expires and use them to update future installations of the software if I upgrade computers. Is this correct? Where can I find the Online Catalogue?
    Thanks again for the help,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics Joe

I have been using Xara since 1996 when I saw a demo at Rick Altman's CorelWORLD, Dallas I think it was.
    There was a Corel Xara package available at that time. I didn't purchase it, but it did some interesting things, for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jyaam4 View Post
    Thank you so much for your reply. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I can download all the updates/patches up until the service expires and use them to update future installations of the software if I upgrade computers. Is this correct? Where can I find the Online Catalogue?
    Thanks again for the help,
    Joe
    Joe, that is correct.

The right detail si at the bottom of this page: https://help.xara.com/article/50-the-designs-gallery.
    You do not need to open the Online content Catalogue (OCC) to do this but you can view the OCC with Insert > From Content Catalogue.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Joe, that is correct.

The right detail si at the bottom of this page: https://help.xara.com/article/50-the-designs-gallery.
    You do not need to open the Online content Catalogue (OCC) to do this but you can view the OCC with Insert > From Content Catalogue.

Acorn
    I don't mean to be a bother, but can't seem to find where the downloadable update/patch content is. In the OCC all I see is graphic content. There doesn't seem to be anything that's update related.
    Thanks again for your help,
    Joe

Hello again...
    I think I answered my own question. I found this at this site:
    https://shared.xara.com/diNpZUgi2O/

"What happens to the Update Service after 365 days?1.Do nothing, the Update Service expires and you will no longer receive any new features. The feature updates you have installed over the past 365 days will continue to run indefinitely, HOWEVER if you re-install your product on a new computer after the Update Service has expired then the new installation will fall back to the version you last purchased"

I would have another question about this: if I would purchase the Update Service another year, and the software would have a major update (ie v17 to v18), would I receive that for free as part of the update service? And if I did get that upgrade, would I be able to keep it if I cancelled the service?
    Thanks again for any help,
    Joe

The contents of the Online Content Catalog are only available with a current subscription. I know Xara calls it a service something or other, but basically it is a subscription.

The difference is once you purchase Designer Pro X or Pro+ or Web Designer you own those programs forever. The subscription gives you access to the Content Catalog and updates and bug fixes.

@jyaam4, the Update Service is confusing. Have a read of https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Update-Service.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat