Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Program stalls on TIFF file export

Working with Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 17.1.0.60742. I am trying to export into a TIFF file at a resolution of 730 dpi. I have done this with dozens of files just like this one over the years, but for some reason this particular file will not export successfully. The program just sits with the spinning blue circle and will not complete the export. It doesn't crash, it just starts the process and never finishes and then eventually I have to force close Xara.

I have tried copying the image into a new file and exporting from that in case the file somehow was corrupted, but still no success. I have also tried to export from a different device, still no success.

I can export as a TIFF file at up to 300 dpi, but I need it to be at a minimum at least twice that to make sure that the print quality is at the desired level.

CantonGA_Print.xar

Default Re: Program stalls on TIFF file export

try setting the compression to 'none' in the export dialog - i think your image is taking a very long timeto compress
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    try setting the compression to 'none' in the export dialog - i think your image is taking a very long timeto compress
    Thank you for the suggestion. I had tried with and without compression on, and I just gave it another try with compression set to 'none.' Same result, unfortunately.

you can make an internal bitmap copy at 730dpi - you can then scale this up by approx 760 % [760.416666.....] and export at default 96 dpi without compression - this shoild work and hopefully near enough the correct pixel size, worked for me
    Nothing lasts forever...

Using the same application/version, it exported for me:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture_000781.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	128663

It took a long time. I don't know how long as I walked away and busied myself for a while.

Thanks so much for the help. After mwenz said it worked for them, I tried starting the export walking away for a while too. Sure enough, after about 40 minutes I came back and it was done. I've never had one of these take more than 2 minutes or so before, so when 5+ minutes had gone by in my earlier attempts it just seemed like it was failing. I feel silly now!

its ok sometimes the program is not helpful

it is quicker to make a copy and scale it up and export - bearing in mind it is the pixel size of the exported image that counts for print quality not the notional dpi

good to know it gets there in the end though if you don't - there must be a bottleneck in the export routine
    Nothing lasts forever...