Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Does Xara Web Designer have a 'site view/manager'?

That's probably why Serif have not added a web design progie into their graphics suite. They used to have one years before they gave birth to Affinity, but dropped it long ago.

what you say is true Gary, but you can also look at it another way - life is short, worthwhile programs usually have learning curves, users who 'know what they are doing' will be looking for certain key [to them] features in a program before they jump in

they willl ask questions, it's what you do...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nothing lasts forever...

Mia Culpa - This is what happens when you try to do the first suggestion and then after 20 years....

you are quite correct about webp it is firmly established as a format and not having it makes xara look a bit 'quaint'

xara does not have a timeline for animations - sure you can do animations without a timeline in the good old fashioned x-sheet-esque way but for me, outside of a 1990's style gif, life is too short - the animation part of my brain thinks in terms of timelines and struggles vwithout them

although I don't build websites, if I did, I would want what the OP wants I am fairly sure....
    Nothing lasts forever...

I did a web search today for "Xara Web Designer Site Management"
    I found a thread from 2010 asking "Does Xara have a site management view?"

10 years later...

I think the view "That's just how the software works, so live with it!" is just letting them off the hook.
    For any non-trivial website, a site management view is such a staggeringly useful addition to the UI I can't understand why Xara have refused to add one.

Every other web design software I've tried has this feature. It's the only major reason that caused me to decide not to buy the product. I imagine there any many like me that download, try, and go elsewhere because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JWellbelove View Post

10 years later...

I think the view "That's just how the software works, so live with it!" is just letting them off the hook.
    For any non-trivial website, a site management view is such a staggeringly useful addition to the UI I can't understand why Xara have refused to add one.

Every other web design software I've tried has this feature. It's the only major reason that caused me to decide not to buy the product. I imagine there any many like me that download, try, and go elsewhere because of it.
    The one thing this forum delivers is persistence. 10 years is small beer. In the interim, many have managed and handled larger sites; the trick is to work to the strengths and cherish the weaknesses.
    The Page & Layer and Name galleries could be so much more with nesting folders/chapters that either publish flat or into a hierarchy. At the same time, at the object level, the attributes need to be exposed fully, including the built-in assets.

For your large documentation site, I personally would use Markdown and GitHub as a repository. If sticking with Xara, perhaps you could consider it as a PDF document instead.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I 've been using xara for creating vector graohics for over 12 years - not as long as acorn has been using their product, but what ever you use it for, and whichever software you use, software companies design their software to be used in certain ways and they make trade offs in design, some of which work out and some of which come back to bite them... bit like life in general you might say

no it's accepting the situation as it is

if you are really sure you want to persue it you are wasting your time here - you should be lobbying xara directly with good solid examples of why you think it would make commercial sense for them to do this

that is also the way it is
    Nothing lasts forever...

cherish the weaknesses
    no it's accepting the situation as it is
    I will have to respectfully disagree very strongly with viewpoints such as those.
    Products should evolve to the needs of current, new and potential customers. Any company that ignores that risks slowly disappearing into obscurity.
    I've learnt this as a software developer of 40 years.

I'm reminded of an old joke.

"I'll tell you, like I've told hundreds of other people; There's no demand for that!"

Quote Originally Posted by JWellbelove View Post

10 years later...

Well, I'd say that Xara is attached to several hooks and this isn't one that has much traction in the user community.

It is really useful and they haven't refused anything - it's a company that lets people request stuff and quietly (and slowly) adds new features and goes down new avenues pretty much as they wish.

Every other web design software I've tried has this feature.
    You will have plenty to choose from then!

It's the only major reason that caused me to decide not to buy the product. I imagine there any many like me that download, try, and go elsewhere because of it.
    Personally I agree with you that it's definitely useful. Very few people actually request it.

Xara has another omission that you didn't mention - Master Pages - that many have requested and still hasn't been implemented.

Personally for a documentation based system I'd be going for some form of CMS based system.

Returning to the site management aspect, there was one programme that did that beautifully - netobjects fusion - but don't even go there these days, it's at the end of it's life I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nof-page-view.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	128705