Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dancing Robots

Default Re: Dancing Robots

When ever I see advancements in robotics, I see more humans out of work.

a self-aware artificial intelligent being
    as in the story I referenced in post #8 above - think it was in robert sheckley's untouched by human hands, but that's from memory and as we live in a chaotic book depositry cum studio rather than a house it may take some finding to check...

that would place it in the early '50s

so much written then is coming to pass...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I think the original idea was to create automated machinery to allow humans to avoid tedious and dangerous jobs.

Today, right now, AI machines are used in farm fields to sow seeds and reap fruit. That's a job no one wants for what it pays, right?

The humans versus machines scenario was perhaps shown best in the play "RUR"—Rossum's Universal Robots, the firt time the word "robot was used, coined.

Big political play. Shame Cameron hasn't tried to re-imagine it.

1921. I think this is an original version of the play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RUR.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	128767

automated is fine in itself... but you must make sure that someone is in control and that the AI has been thought through.... otherwise like micky mouse you may end up with [in his case] very wet feet... and a serious problem
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    as in the story I referenced in post #8 above - think it was in robert sheckley's untouched by human hands, but that's from memory and as we live in a chaotic book depositry cum studio rather than a house it may take some finding to check...

that would place it in the early '50s

so much written then is coming to pass...
    yes it is the story is called watchbird and still well worth a read - the whole book is...

now I have the title I can reference it - it is available here as a Project Gutenberg EBook you can read for free:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2957...-h/29579-h.htm
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes it is the story is called watchbird and still well worth a read - the whole book is...

now I have the title I can reference it - it is available here as a Project Gutenberg EBook you can read for free:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2957...-h/29579-h.htm

Thanks for posting that - instantly I am reminded of the great Science Fiction that I read avidly as a teenager.

I've only just read a few paragraphs and it's so easy to imagine the characters and the atmosphere. I guess that's what reading too much 1950's SciFi and watching American TV and the Outer Limits does for you!

It's very powerful and already I could see it would make a great period piece with a resonance for today.

We are well on the way to making the imagined horrors of the 1950s a reality. That can be your uplifting thought for today..
    Last edited by pauland; 01 February 2021 at 05:45 PM.

yep I remember the yellow jacketed gollancz scifi books in our local library, I must have read everyone from Poul Anderson to Roger Zelazny and points in between and beyond.... reading is an eduction in itself if it makes you think and use your imagination...
    Nothing lasts forever...

The first Sci-fi paperback I bought when I was just into the double-digit ages: Asimov's, "I, Robot". I enjoyed it so much I plunked down a week's savings—paperbacks were something like 35¢ for Ace paperbacks up to $1 & change for Penguin and other "fat" books—for the Foundation Trilogy. Way above my comprehension skills, the set is deteriorating in the basement somewhere; I thought I'd wait a few years before trying to get into again. I see HBO or some other streaming network has tried to make a series out of it.

Name:	they fell to earth.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	128797

I really enjoyed do androids dream of electric sheep ... blade runner not so much... maybe if I had not read the book first... films can rarely do justice to the book, and it's a different medium, they have to treat it to suit
    Nothing lasts forever...

[QUOTE=Gare;633421]The first Sci-fi paperback I bought when I was just into the double-digit ages: Asimov's, "I, Robot".

Name:	they fell to earth.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	128797[/QUOTE

Me too, in fact I told that story in speech class.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.