I read "Watchbird" and it was a great read.

It addresses a lot of concepts that we are really trying to come to grips with today - not about robotics, but how we treat animals, how we treat people, etc..

I read a ton of SciFi as a teenager, often preferring short stories to novels.

Here's my little list that made an impact.

The Invisible Man - with a huge fear of crowds, you don't get that from the films.
The Time Machine
The War of the Worlds

This book really stunned me as a teenager, I was amazed at the depth of the book (it examines the arrogance of man to think that we can understand everything) and it scared me. Very definitely to be read not just watched. If anything of the films the Russian one is the best. I was fortunate enough to see a wonderful stage version in London a couple of years back.

Solaris - Stanislaw Lem.

I loved "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" - Heinlein - particularly it's quirk on evolving artificial intelligence.

As an adult I read "Starship Troopers" and discovered it was really about citizenship rather than anything else. I was impressed - again the film takes the superficial subject rather than the actual subject.

We read these books and see the general subject, but often these Scifi books use the escapism that going to another future brings to talk about issues that exist in real life. Watchbird is superficially quite a simple story but it touches on a lot of big issues around what constitutes murder.

Scifi was always my love as a teenager. I then discovered wonderful Ghost stories from Conan Doyle. Today I mostly read autobiographies.

Here's my tips for some incredible autobiographies.

"The Lonely Sea and the Sky" by Francis Chichester.
"The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer (somewhat controversial)
"The Outsider" by Fredrick Forsyth.