Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dancing Robots

Default Re: Dancing Robots

Paul - Your question about who makes these robots, their parts, etc., is probably answered here https://www.bostondynamics.com/about

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Paul - Your question about who makes these robots, their parts, etc., is probably answered here https://www.bostondynamics.com/about
    Not entirely sure it does answer that question.

For a lot of electronic components and electric motors, China is the principle supplier. I have a 3D printer and it like just about every 3D printer I know of uses components that are sourced in China. Very few supply chains are not dependent on China.

Anyway, it's a bit off-topic for your post and verging on the controversial.

We kind of need the world's robots to adhere to the Laws of Robotics as defined by Isacc Asimov.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

which implies a level of sentience I would rather they did not have
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    which implies a level of sentience I would rather they did not have
    I feel that very soon, your Cintique will be critiquing your work and offering "helpful" advice.. ..and if you disagree, his friend from Boston Dynamics will be visiting to explain in detail why the Cintique is right. You will not be required to dance at any stage..

;-)

see this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9NCMMqxCs

here is another but I am not convinced they are robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hh3_mJJJNw
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    see this too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP9NCMMqxCs

here is another but I am not convinced they are robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hh3_mJJJNw
    The Graham Norton one is a toy - you can buy it (I have a voice-controlled Dalek, though it still does it's own thing mostly).

The second one is not a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I feel that very soon, your Cintique will be critiquing your work and offering "helpful" advice.. ..and if you disagree, his friend from Boston Dynamics will be visiting to explain in detail why the Cintique is right. You will not be required to dance at any stage..

;-)
    lastt bit good news anyway I have never been able to dance... [vertically ]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Might I add that Boston Dynamics was bought by Hyundai for more than 2 billion, I believe.

The good news is the 'bots are not going to stop. Hyundai has stated that their uber-field is going to be mobility: cars, yeah, but also land delivery systems, handicap accessibility, automated deliveries, just getting something or someone from point a to point b.

Admirable.

And those 'bots can dance better than I do.

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    Might I add that Boston Dynamics was bought by Hyundai for more than 2 billion, I believe.

Hyundai has stated that their uber-field is going to be mobility: cars, yeah, but also land delivery systems, handicap accessibility, automated deliveries, just getting something or someone from point a to point b.

Admirable.

My Best,

Gary
    Very interesting, I had not heard that at least not all of it. All these posts about robots are just fascinating some I had seen before but not all.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Very interesting, I had not heard that at least not all of it. All these posts about robots are just fascinating some I had seen before but not all.

[Also by the way...] We're not yet at the moment the late Stephen Hawking talked about and dreaded—a self-aware artificial intelligent being—not in 2021, not for a (too short) while. If you've watched "Sophia" on YouTube clips, it's impressive but at the same time a bit of a stunt. You can still clearly "hear" the programmer behind the 'bot. I'm also impressed that Boston Dynamic could make a wireless robot who can maneuver the way we're shown.

Last year seemed like a propitious time for both Popular Science and the New York Times to publish those coffee table Special Editions... on AI. And the consensus right now is that there won't be intelligent Killer Robots for a while. Right now, Artificial Intelligence is pretty, comparatively stupid.

That said, there's a trend now to put rudimentary A.I. in commercial software, especially Adobe products and some brilliant cottage industries. Is it revolutionary and will change the way you work? Erm: no. But it will indeed help enhance your product without upping your skill set.

A research lab has a place online that will let you screw around with an implementation of their A.I., called Artbreeder, which uses Generative Adversarial Networks ("GAN") to mess with your work after it confuses your mind. It is hard to get anything resembling art or CG out of it without doing some reading, but I hit a payoff after about 45 minutes of failures and additional reading, and an Advil cocktail.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 fake people.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	128764

Hey, given that it's free, no one is giving away advanced tech, and I'm not the sharpest pencil in the tool shed, I don't think this sucks.

I don't know what's behind the engine, but these two "portraits" depended on no user images, and yet look uncanny (valley) in photorealism.

I'm programmed to exit now.....