Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Version 16 to 17 loses layer pop-ups

A website created under version 16 of Designer ProX has pages with layers so the mouse hovering over particular locations will reveal an additional image. This works on the exported website and in the web page preview. If I open the same .xar file in version 17 neither the preview nor export shows these pop-ups. Interestingly, editing other pages under version 17 and opening the new .xar file under version 16 the desired effects are still shown in both preview and upon export. Am I missing something obvious? Happy to provide the .xar file if that would help (the published website can be seen at uhulmc.org and the pages in questions are those accessed via the menu Miglia Quadrato --> More Questions and Answers or Londinium Pedo --> Questions and Answers

Any help gratefully received.

Default Re: Version 16 to 17 loses layer pop-ups

Yes, I think viewing the XAR file would be the easiest to see what you are suffering.

I open XAR files in all versions without ever having this as an issue.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Yes, I think viewing the XAR file would be the easiest to see what you are suffering.

I open XAR files in all versions without ever having this as an issue.

Acorn
    Many thanks for helping. The xar file that works in V16 but not v17 - the pages of interest are 8 and 19 ("some-questions and-answers" and "questions-and-answers") - is too large to upload. It comes in at 144MB. Is there any way of getting it to you?

For the record, I did a clean install of v16 and v17 on a different machine just to prove it was not the installation. Both 64b bit with a fully up to date Windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Many thanks for helping. The xar file that works in V16 but not v17 - the pages of interest are 8 and 19 ("some-questions and-answers" and "questions-and-answers") - is too large to upload. It comes in at 144MB. Is there any way of getting it to you?
    For the record, I did a clean install of v16 and v17 on a different machine just to prove it was not the installation. Both 64b bit with a fully up to date Windows 10.
    In that case, it will be quicker to create a new file and right-click on the pasteboard and pick Copy page 'xxxx' and Paste into the new document.

Do the same from v17 and upload both.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The page is still far too large. I have deleted most content and created a new xar file. Open this under v16 and preview the second page (questions-and-=answers), scroll down to the image and hover the mouse over the base of the shield (white part) and a pop up will be revealed. Under v17 this pop up is never revealed in the preview. The original page has many images (quite high res) each with a pop up - it would be very painful to recreate this and the other affected page! The attached file is "test v16-17.xar" Many thanks. Apologies in advance if it is my own inexperience that is the cause.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lightbulb Re: Version 16 to 17 loses layer pop-ups

John OK, I admit I did not understand the logic behind what you were doing initially as you gave no indication of the effect you expect or where and how it is to work.
    I therefore gave everything a 0px Line Width and found the rectangle over the By Light to Knowledge crest. You can also switch to Outline to achieve the same.

The problem of the pop-ups not working is how Xara now treats a shape with no Line Width and No Fill.
    A pointer hover over an empty fill is a straight pass-through to any shape underneath. It just does not trigger anymore.

You have a couple of solutions:
    1. Give all your pop-up trigger shapes a Colour Fill and a Transparency of 100%. @Egg likes this approach.
    2. Add Placeholder code <div></div> or <span></span> to the Body of every pop-up trigger shape.
    3. The above is my preferred approach but I also add in a (Magenta) Colour Fill (no Transparency though) so you can see the triggers in the design but not when published.
    4. Duplicate the Crest and crop it to the trigger shape and add the event to that. Just as messy as you cannot immediately see the trigger shape.

A couple of further pointers might also be of help to you.

1. You have put Layers between MouseOff and MouseOver.
      In the Page & Layer gallery, click-drag the layer above MouseOver and release.
    2. Use Utilities > Optimise all images.
      Doing so on this test file reduced it from 5MB to 1.5 MB without loss of quality.
      Do make a copy of your original file before doing so to perverse the original images; you don't need them as detailed for web work.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,

Thank you so much for taking so much time to investigate and help. Your explanation really helps - I certainly did not spot that in the v17 release notes, but it makes sense.

Also, many thanks for the suggested solutions - this will get me able to develop the website under v17. I will also follow the other points. But, I would note, the high resolution was deliberate as the intended viewers will most likely be zooming in to look at the smallest details (all part of a 'treasure hunt' activity) - I should have thought of reducing size before uploading to you. I am sorry I did not explain sufficiently to make your task easier.

So, my thanks to you for taking so much time. It really is appreciated. May I extend to you, in these troubled times, my best wishes for the New Year.

Thanks,

John

John, Xara only renders at 96dpi or double if you have ticked Retina. Having a high resolution image in your design achieves little more other than a large design file.

I forgot to add - Are your pop-up images all JPGs? If so, you can use Web properties > Image > Image file type: PNG to avoid having to cut out the background...

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 31 December 2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    John, Xara only renders at 96dpi or double if you have ticked Retina. Having a high resolution image in your design achieves little more other than a large design file.

Acorn
    Thanks, Acorn. I guess I was showing my ignorance again! Makes perfect sense. I will do as you suggest and add the ability to download the full resolution images for those who wish to examine in greater detail.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to explain. It really is appreciated.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Thanks, Acorn. I guess I was showing my ignorance again! Makes perfect sense. I will do as you suggest and add the ability to download the full resolution images for those who wish to examine in greater detail.
    Thanks again for taking the trouble to explain. It really is appreciated.
    John
    John, ignorance is not a fault, it is only something you don't know yet.

I added a rider to my last Post above this in case you were ignorant of it.

Acorn