Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What is a PNnV Document, please?

in this context PDF libraries are what the xara program references when it imports/exports PDF - look up tables if you like, to enable the information to be read/written correctly from one set of code to another; those used by xara will be oinstalled with the program; if something [eg a system security setting] stops full/partial access to these it will not work, running the xara program once as admin may fix that
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Many thanks, handrawn and all the other helpful people on this forum,

I have managed to get the system to work OK.

Apologies if the following description is overlong, but it may be of interest how I got it working again, plus there is part of this I do not understand.

I had decided to use system restore and was prepared if necessary to reinstall the whole system.

I tried System Restore first and Win10 returned an error to say that various system files were not recoverable. I tried a number of system restore points all with the same result.

As a consequence, I decided to start an audit to make sure I had all the installation files and keys to reset the whole system and started working down the start list. I came across a program called Segurazo AV that I am sure I have never installed - after a lot of fiddling I managed to uninstall this program. The error with XPD and .pdf's was still present.

However, the next item on the list was "settings" which I opened and it returned a dialogue with warnings that there were damaged system files and offering to correct them. I have never seen this dialogue box before and it came up prior to the usual settings home page. The dialogue offered to correct all the damaged files so I allowed it to run. The whole system now appears to work properly. .pdfs open immediately in XPD all working and the whole computer has a sprightly feel about it.

Unfortunately, I did not record the dialogue box that came up before the settings home page and cannot reproduce it from the options in settings, does anyone know what it was - certainly it saved my computer.

Many thanks again to all those helpful people on Talkgraphics I can now catch up on my work backlog.

Martin

PS I am now pondering whether to try system restore and/or download the cumulative Win10 update, but thinking "if it ain't broke don't fix it" may be the sensible way forward (at least until the work backlog is cleared). Update Win10 to version 20H2?????
    M
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU

in summary then:

you had corrupted system files

that prevented you from restoring the system

windows will prompt for repair of damaged system files, once it becomes 'aware' that there is a problem, that is normal

the open question is, what caused the corruption - maybe the AV you uninstalled, you surely have another AV running and running two at once can cause issues [windows security [defender] excepted]

corrupted system files can indeed cause issues such as you had with PDF

if your win10 settings update says 20H2 is ready and waiting for you, you can update, should not be an issue, but run a system wide scan with your AV first just in case,
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you handrawn,

Kaspersky Total Security is my main AV software. I have a Malwarebytes available if I need it, but there are issues with KTS and MWB together.

I now see that Seguazo is listed in Wikipedia list of rogue software (plus several other posts). I think it slipped in when we were downloading some wallpapers for an animated zoom father christmas for a local school. All sorted now.

Thanks again
    Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU