Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is a PNnV Document, please?

Hi,

Since I so called upgraded to XDP17 I seem to be getting all sorts of fidgety issues.

Until now I could just import .pdf documents into XPD (any version) and it would accept the .pdf document and I could modify it as I wished.

I now (sometimes, not always) get a message saying the document could not be opened as it was not a {PNnV document (not half a bracket appears in the error message).

What is a {PNnV document? In the past I have always had great success with .pdf's in XARA, I hope this is not going to change.

Kind regards, and all the best for the New Year.

Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU

Default Re: What is a PNnV Document, please?

I have no idea what a PNnV document is. I just tried importing a PDF both from the menu where the PDF option is almost at the bottom of the list (WHY?!) and by drag and drop and both work fine for me. In fact there have been some improvements to the PDF import filter. But the import menu is still a total dog's breakfast.

How did you try to import this document?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I just tried importing a PDF both from the menu where the PDF option is almost at the bottom of the list (WHY?!) ... But the import menu is still a total dog's breakfast.
    @Gary, try this: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-as-type-order to place your PDF Import at the top.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 27 December 2020 at 12:38 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

you can try right click and run as administrator

PNnV sounds like a reference to the import filter libraries or an internal xara reference, but that is a guess
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Many thanks for the swift rep[ly,

I initially tried to import a .pdf that I created from a different program and imported using file> import, I then tried simply dragging the created file onto the workspace. I have done both of these hundreds of times always with 100% success.

I experimented trying to open some files that I had previously opened some time ago - same error message "The document could not be opened as it was not a {PNnV document."

I then tried to import into XDP11 and got the same error (note, also with XPD16).

I subsequently tried making the .pdf's by several methods, edocprinter, MS print to pdf, etc. The reason I choose to create a .pdf is that I am using many mathematical expressions and by using a .pdf and importing it I get a transparent background behind the equation. Although I tried several .pdf's from several sources the current ones are obtained by using Libreoffice Maths (which I have many times before).

Regards

Martin
    Last edited by Riftvalley; 27 December 2020 at 02:37 PM.
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'

it could be as simple as the installation of version 17 not initialising the PDF libraries [which right click run as admin might fix] - if so it may have upset the process for the other versions as they may well use common libraries
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Martin, just tried LibreOffice Math v7.0 and all worked.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Many thanks, everyone,

I have used LibreOffice math because I can (used to) produce transparent formulae (that can be adjusted within XARA). In desperation, I have reinstalled XPD17, but no change.

Possibly what is happening is more serious as I have a query in to Magix technical services on another error "Cannot write to backup folder C:\Users\MyName\AppDatas\Local\Xara\XtremePro\17\B ackups. Please correct this problem or choose another folder on the Backups tab of the Options dialog." All a bit catch-22 as when I try the path I can read and write correctly. Also, I find the backup in place despite the error telling me it is not!

Almost got to the stage of thinking a complete re-installation of Win10 (except I have so many production critical installations).

Kindest regards
    Martin

PS I am not sure what the ".pdf " libraries are, I just open file>import or drag and drop into Xara. I tried opening a .pdf file by right clicking and selecting XARA with the same result.
    M

Acorn - That worked fine. But how hard would it be for Xara to organize this list in a more orderly fashion placing the most common file formats first?!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Acorn - That worked fine. But how hard would it be for Xara to organize this list in a more orderly fashion placing the most common file formats first?!
    Gary, we could organise a Survey and offer up the ordered list to Xara...

...for those who are unaware:

The File Type box is a list that can be driven by a keypress.
    To get quickly to the *.PDF, click in the box and type O; PDF is 5 entries above.
    There are two B, D, E, G entries that jump top and bottom so a toggle might get you close to your requires filetype.

An alternative is to type in the Search box (top right).

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 27 December 2020 at 04:10 PM.