Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trying to retire, client won't let me leave, client-side editing?

I haven't been here in quite a while (12 year Xara user), been trying to retire and my last good client keeps asking for one more year (which I gave him 2). He's recently passed away from cancer and the company is looking to re-do their website. It's a used car dealership which doesn't sell a lot of cars (business is mostly service). We currently use cars.com to list their used vehicles and link to that, and they would like to be able to have their own pages and not rely on cars.com. I don't want to have to add/delete vehicles etc. and would like to be able to have them do their own adding of listings, make changes etc. without my input. The people who would be doing it are about as far from computer literate as you can get. Is there a recommendation within Xara to allow them to make their own changes, or a placeholder/plug-in to accomplish this easily?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jim

Default Re: Trying to retire, client won't let me leave, client-side editing?

Jim, I suggest you consider pointing your client to a WordPress designer who could deliver something like https://cardealer.potenzaglobalsolutions.com/home-6/ fairly cheaply.

There are lots of designs around but at $89, https://preview.themeforest.net/item...=impact_radius is fairly powerful and relatively simple to maintain.

Check over https://athemes.com/collections/best...dpress-themes/.

The WP designer could pull out theme colour and logos from the existing site very easily.

Merry Xmas.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I agree with Acorn.

Now is a great time to part company. I feel that it is you not the client that is reluctant to do so.

I lost a client last year that I regarded as a friend. I didn't see him often, but over a period of years and he was one of the best human beings you could hope to meet. I can't say that about many people.

Time to go.

It would see like the appropriate action to leave them, but they are friends and there's no one in the company with the ability to implement or maintain a website (very small town, the reason I've stayed). Those Wordpress themes do look nice, and I would still have to set it all up for them anyway. They are currently on my server so just another hurdle to move them away. Thanks for the info.

Jim

Jim, I think you need to ask yourself a couple of questions: What would happen if you were to drop dead tomorrow? How would they manage? I am sure they would be able to find someone to take on the website. Remember, no one is indispensable. Second question: What is more important, your friends or your health and wellbeing. If you answer these two questions truthfully, then you will have your answer and know what to be doing. If they are good friends, then they will completely understand. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Jim, I think you need to ask yourself a couple of questions: What would happen if you were to drop dead tomorrow? How would they manage? I am sure they would be able to find someone to take on the website. Remember, no one is indispensable. Second question: What is more important, your friends or your health and wellbeing. If you answer these two questions truthfully, then you will have your answer and know what to be doing. If they are good friends, then they will completely understand. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    +1

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm meeting with them today to discuss the Wordpress themes etc. I've been down this road before with other clients, they've been good to me for nearly 20 years and now that the owner is gone I won't just drop them (as he was the pivotal character, a family business 73 years same location). I installed and maintain their network as well as all their PC's besides the website, so it won't be an easy transition. No one is indispensable and Covid has hurt them like everyone else. Moving on...

Jim

Jim,

I'm sure you'll make the right decision, but don't let yourself be the guest who stays late long after the party is finished.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Jim,

I'm sure you'll make the right decision, but don't let yourself be the guest who stays late long after the party is finished.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Paul
    +1

php script that can be embeded into most websites

Auto Classifieds Script | Car Dealer Script | Car Script | PHPJabbers