Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pages not displaying properly on Apple devices

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me. I created my web site using Xara Web Designer Premium (upgrading each version up to 16, then purchasing Xara Designer Pro X). My web site can be found at www.ocean-waves.net. When it is viewed on any Windows or Linux device, in any browser, it displays correctly, but on any Apple devices (iPhone, iPad and iPod touch) in both Safari and Firefox, it shows any photos in portrait orientation on their sides. It doesn't just rotate the photo, it stretches the portrait orientation to fit the landscape shape. I have attached screen shots showing how the page *should* look, and also how it looks on Apple devices.

The photos on the site, when clicked, show a larger pop-up photo, and the photos display correctly in the pop-ups on Apple (albeit still on their sides).

I can't for the life of me work out why this is happening. Can anyone help? I have looked in the photo metadata to see if there's anything in there about orientation, but I can't see anything.

Thank you in advance for any help.

DebbieClick image for larger version. 

Name:	main_page_windows.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	128536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	main_page_safari.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	128537

Default Re: Pages not displaying properly on Apple devices

Hi BB, I've looked at a few pages on my aging iPhone and iPad and there appears to be no problem with any image orientation.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I have a Iphone 7 and the images are turned and squished.

Ray

Recent iPhone and IPad. Image squished and inverted as well.
    @bollingerbabe. Susan. Pictures taken with an iPhone and imported into Xara have a flipping problem. This might be part of it. All of my images are flipped. The issue is explained at Apple.
    Check to see that there are no settings which force the photo into a particular size.
    Perhaps this is a smart shape?
    Just import the photo to the pasteboard. Is the photo still flipped and squished? Can you manipulate the photo on the pasteboard?
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Hi, the photos were not taken with an iPhone; they were taken with either a Samsung Galaxy 7 or 10, or a digital camera, or (for older photos) a film camera and scanned. All of the portrait photos (on other pages as well, most notably http://ocean-waves.net/braemar.htm) show the photos squished and rotated. Some of the photos started off as landscape when they were taken, and have been cropped to a portrait size.

The weird thing is that I use Firefox both on my Windows laptop and on my iPad, yet it displays correctly on the laptop but not on the iPad, so it's not a browser issue.

I will have a look on the Apple site and see what I can find out, thanks.

Regards,
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bollingerbabe View Post
    Hi, the photos were not taken with an iPhone; they were taken with either a Samsung Galaxy 7 or 10, or a digital camera, or (for older photos) a film camera and scanned. All of the portrait photos (on other pages as well, most notably http://ocean-waves.net/braemar.htm) show the photos squished and rotated. Some of the photos started off as landscape when they were taken, and have been cropped to a portrait size.

The weird thing is that I use Firefox both on my Windows laptop and on my iPad, yet it displays correctly on the laptop but not on the iPad, so it's not a browser issue.

I will have a look on the Apple site and see what I can find out, thanks.

Regards,
    Debbie
    Debbie, I am not in a position to experiment but two possible approaches might work. (1) Try Optimise all Photos. This totally remove the cropped (not visible) parts. (2) Try Create Bitmap Copy of the cropped images.
    It is possible the iPhone browser is reading the original EXIF information about orientation and forcing that regardless.

My guess is Bitmap Copy will work.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have tried this on an Apple MacBook.

It's fine when viewed on Chrome or Opera, the problem exists on Safari.

I tried it also on an iPad with Safari and again the problem is there, but it is also there on Chrome too on the iPad.

On IOS Chrome uses Apple's webkit to render pages, so I suspect that is the common factor - Apple webkit.

Given that this is an issue for that picture but not others, there's something about it that is causing the issue.

Of course there shouldn't be an "issue" at all.

If you can isolate a test case that would be good to use with a bug report for further investigation.

I suggest Acorn's 2nd solution. Some browsers autocorrect pictures taken in portrait mode to landscape mode and others not. Creating bitmap copies within Xara might solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It is possible the iPhone browser is reading the original EXIF information about orientation and forcing that regardless.
    Not sure how to remove/edit the exif in Xara.

https://justmarkup.com/articles/2019...e-orientation/