Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Cannot write to backup folder

I have just upgraded XDPX 17 to the latest release. I am now getting a worrying error message about not being able to write backups.

This is the error message

Cannot write to backup folder C:/Users/XXXXXXX/AppData/Local/Xara/XtremePro/17/Backups/
    Please correct this problem choose another folder on the backups tab of options dialogue

I haven't a clue how to go about creating a new backup folder. I did try using the options Dialogue box to specify a new backup folder but I got the following message

The specified backup path does not exist or is not writable, please enter one that is writable

No idea how to create a "writable" backup folder.

I need some help as this has crippled my work output.

Kind regards
    Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU

Default Re: Cannot write to backup folder

first right click and run program as administrator - it may not have permission to write to system disk - only need to do once
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Cannot write to backup folder

Quote Originally Posted by Riftvalley View Post
    I have just upgraded XDPX 17 to the latest release. I am now getting a worrying error message about not being able to write backups.

This is the error message

Cannot write to backup folder C:/Users/XXXXXXX/AppData/Local/Xara/XtremePro/17/Backups/
    Please correct this problem choose another folder on the backups tab of options dialogue

I haven't a clue how to go about creating a new backup folder. I did try using the options Dialogue box to specify a new backup folder but I got the following message

The specified backup path does not exist or is not writable, please enter one that is writable

No idea how to create a "writable" backup folder.

I need some help as this has crippled my work output.

Kind regards
    Martin
    Martin, a very quick fix: Power off and on again.

Second approach:
    • In Xara > Utilities > Options > Backups > Browse > Make New Folder.
    • If you have a second drive use that but in most instances get away from the default path Xara offers.
    • Click OK.

Mine are I:\Xara Backups\Xara Pro+, I:\Xara Backups\V17, I:\Xara Backups\V15, I:\Xara Backups\V12, I:\Xara Backups\V111 & I:\Xara Backups\V10 as I run lots of versions together.

Sometime you may need to CHKDSK your drive in case you have corrupted sectors.

I also save my design files (XAR/WEB) directly into Dropbox so i have versions safe there too.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Many thanks handrawn,

I tried that. I directed the program to the backup folder in the Xara/XtremePro/17/Backups folder, but got the message:
    "The specified backup pathdoes not exist or is not writable, please enter one that is writable.

What is a writable path? how does it fiffer from any other path?

Regards
    Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'

Many thanks Acorn,

I tried setting up a new folder in the F: drive, which has plenty of space. But I just get the message: "The specified backup path does not exist or is not writable, please enter one that is writable"

I cannot save anything, because when I save close and restart the program it opens up prior to any work that I have done on the file. i.e any work I have done between saves it lost.

I have an urgent job that must be finished tonight as I have to provide some presentational material to a client tomorrow!

Kind regards
    Martin

follow what acorn said - something on your computer is blocking access, but not possible to say what exactly
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...