Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

Thanks Acorn,

Good advice as always; should the OP (Philip) be able to publish the example design file I provided above to his host service, and of course it works with his hosting service, he would be through your steps 1-5. It is working well on my server atm, so that would eliminate it being a Xara issue.

Very best wishes for the New Year and thank you for all your help.

Gary

Default Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

Hi Gary,

Had a chance to examine in detail your recommendations and the examples you were kind enough to create.
    I particularly wanted to compare the settings in each window you used with what I've set because I've wondered what mistakes I might have made here. Surprisingly, I only found two different settings!
    May I ask two questions:

I note that the work area (correct term?) on the pages you've created is different to mine ie on my set-up there is a background of approx 740 pixels on either side of the page; on yours, its about 1200 pixels. Is this what you've been referring to in your earlier posts? And how do I alter this?

This thread started with a question about the way fonts were displayed.
    May I come back to this?
    I've slightly changed the What is new page you created, using bold for dates and in the top box. I reviewed the page and published it to my server. (I wanted to post images here, but the function isn't working for me). The preview is faithful to the created page. But the published page does not show bold or Georgia in the heading or the first box ( Please link to http://prestonherts.co.uk/scottfamily.htm ; scroll to bottom and click, Test). Did you say that when you uploaded your demos, that there was no problem with the font?
    Is this evidence that the problem is with my server?

Best,

Philip

Philip,

Had a chance to examine in detail your recommendations and the examples you were kind enough to create.
    I particularly wanted to compare the settings in each window you used with what I've set because I've wondered what mistakes I might have made here. Surprisingly, I only found two different settings!
    May I ask two questions:

I note that the work area (correct term?) on the pages you've created is different to mine ie on my set-up there is a background of approx 740 pixels on either side of the page; on yours, its about 1200 pixels. Is this what you've been referring to in your earlier posts? And how do I alter this?
    The difference you saw is directly related to the Export Options Scale-to-fit-Width; I had a page width of 960px with a maximum of 960px (the latter being a personal preference) whereas you used the default max setting of 1280px. This is just personal choice about how the designer wants to display the site to a visitor and the transition to any variants. It looks like you reset yours to 960px maximum?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrestonHerts-Georgia-BOLD-font.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	128581

This thread started with a question about the way fonts were displayed.
    May I come back to this?
    I've slightly changed the What is new page you created, using bold for dates and in the top box. I reviewed the page and published it to my server. (I wanted to post images here, but the function isn't working for me). The preview is faithful to the created page. But the published page does not show bold or Georgia in the heading or the first box ( Please link to http://prestonherts.co.uk/scottfamily.htm ; scroll to bottom and click, Test). Did you say that when you uploaded your demos, that there was no problem with the font?
    Is this evidence that the problem is with my server?
    1. Some progress here: I can see you loaded the example new index page http://prestonherts.co.uk/index.htm. When you add a new page (at least in the short term) it should be a page within the same Xara document. You can either modify the NavBar I included, or create your own links, but short term, the NavBar will help you keep track of Xara pages within the site. There is now however a conflict (I believe) between your old index page http://prestonherts.co.uk/index.html and the new index.htm. Your old WP4 index file has an Ariel default.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PrestonHerts-Georgia-BOLD-font-missing.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	128582

2. The new Xara pages in your doc I provided appear to be Georgia, but have lost Bold (in comparison to https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Preston ). The only difference I believe between the version on my server and yours is the old index.html page. I would try a server-side redirect (within the .htaccess file) to redirect index.html to index.htm.

Gary

Footnote: the new index page I saw has now disappeared?
    Last edited by Initiostar; 29 December 2020 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Update Check