Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

Philip, I don't think your problem lays with your hosting company, it's caused by you trying to mix a WebPlus site and a Xara site together in a bunch of bastards.

Keep the two seperate, don't try to combine them! Have a WebPlus site (as you have at present) and a totally independent Xara created site that's an ongoing project.

The main cause of the issue is that you're trying to link your old WebPlus Site Map to your new Xara created pages. I recommend you don't do this.

Create a new navigation system with your Xara pages, don't try to link it to your old WebPlus site map.

Are you aware that you can copy your websites pages url in a browser and open a new website document in Xara and File / 'Import from Web Address' then paste in the copied url ?

The text normally comes in like a dogs dinner so delete it. You should be able to select that text from WebPlus and paste it. This is a quicker way to create Xara web pages.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

As an aside I think the 3D feature on the link below is mind-blowing:
    LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I'm sure youse guys got more important things to focus on - like, what to do with three-quarters of a turkey after Xmas, but here's a little update.

I thought I'd try an experiment and upload the new pages using Times New Roman instead of Georgia.

Guess what!

It was published in Times New Roman, not Ariel.

Did the same using Comic Sans. Here's the result.

[URL="http://prestonherts.co.uk/oldestmap.htm[/URL]

So my problem has got nothing to do with combining WebPlus and Xara. And although undoubtedly I am inept and inadequate when using programs, this particular issue is patently not down to moi.Wish I had thought of doing this before.

I can enjoy my holiday with my sanity and self-regard intact again.

Happy Xmas all !

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post

Enjoy and we'll see you back after Xmas.

I'm sure youse guys got more important things to focus on - like, what to do with three-quarters of a turkey after Xmas, but here's a little update.

I thought I'd try an experiment and upload the new pages using Times New Roman instead of Georgia.

Guess what!

It was published in Times New Roman, not Ariel.

Did the same using Comic Sans. Here's the result.

[URL="http://prestonherts.co.uk/oldestmap.htm[/URL]

So my problem has got nothing to do with combining WebPlus and Xara. And although undoubtedly I am inept and inadequate when using programs, this particular issue is patently not down to moi.Wish I had thought of doing this before.

Happy Xmas all !

Curiosity had the better of me here. I tried converting a WebPlus page into a Xara document (in my case Pro X v17.0). The most obvious page to try was the Site Map and to test whether all the links would come across.

The approach was simple enough: create a PDF from the page as displayed in a Chrome browser and import that PDF into a Xara web document. It was a bit messy at first with spurious linked line objects lurking underneath the text, but once removed you have the full formatting capabilities of Xara (text styles etc.).

Here is a demo: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Preston/ - the links work from a new site/ directory page, the MouseOver colour change is a bit fiddly, but with patience you can check and change how each link is viewed and opened.

The next step was to create an index page that Xara would expect to be present (in this case it was simply the same PDF input approach using your new page). With the index page created, one can now create any number of new pages, transpose or access old pages as required. All this can be achieved within a single lightweight Xara document.

To complete the exercise Philip, should you wish, you need to create 3 server-side redirects in your .htaccess file (these are noted in the XAR document attached). The server-side redirects will ensure that your three primary WebPlus backlinks return the visitor to the new Xara equivalent pages. You may still have a conflict with the old index page and it may have to be deleted, but it is worth a try first. The redirects must be server-side, else you would have to change every page in your old WebPlus site.

Hope it helps and BTW, had no problems using the Georgia font throughout.

To extend integration further, you should be able to redesign your site/directory page with a 'WebPlus' placeholder whereby each WebPlus page opens in a WebPlus target window. You would likely need to increase your Xara page width around 1200px to make the design work, but rather than jumping out to another page, everything (I think) can be kept within the same page (because the WebPlus page width is relatively narrow). I haven't tried the last bit, but I think it should be possible using a named placeholder.

@Acorn, I think the last integration bit should work?

Happy New Year

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post

Curiosity had the better of me here. I tried converting a WebPlus page into a Xara document (in my case Pro X v17.0). The most obvious page to try was the Site Map and to test whether all the links would come across.

The approach was simple enough: create a PDF from the page as displayed in a Chrome browser and import that PDF into a Xara web document. It was a bit messy at first with spurious linked line objects lurking underneath the text, but once removed you have the full formatting capabilities of Xara (text styles etc.).

Here is a demo: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Preston/ - the links work from a new site/ directory page, the MouseOver colour change is a bit fiddly, but with patience you can check and change how each link is viewed and opened.

The next step was to create an index page that Xara would expect to be present (in this case it was simply the same PDF input approach using your new page). With the index page created, one can now create any number of new pages, transpose or access old pages as required. All this can be achieved within a single lightweight Xara document.

To complete the exercise Philip, should you wish, you need to create 3 server-side redirects in your .htaccess file (these are noted in the XAR document attached). The server-side redirects will ensure that your three primary WebPlus backlinks return the visitor to the new Xara equivalent pages. You may still have a conflict with the old index page and it may have to be deleted, but it is worth a try first. The redirects must be server-side, else you would have to change every page in your old WebPlus site.

Hope it helps and BTW, had no problems using the Georgia font throughout.

To extend integration further, you should be able to redesign your site/directory page with a 'WebPlus' placeholder whereby each WebPlus page opens in a WebPlus target window. You would likely need to increase your Xara page width around 1200px to make the design work, but rather than jumping out to another page, everything (I think) can be kept within the same page (because the WebPlus page width is relatively narrow). I haven't tried the last bit, but I think it should be possible using a named placeholder.

@Acorn, I think the last integration bit should work?

Happy New Year

Gary
    Gary,

That's v interesting and a great way of converting the WebPlus Site map to a Xara page using PDF.
    Thanks for taking the time to work on this and post it.
    Do you think it's better to do this than create a Site Map using WP8 (which is compatible with other devices such as phoens and tablets)?
    Seems to me that if this works, then the method of using sub-directories (which I never got to grips with) is unnecessary.
    I just want an easy way of linking 270 pages to one Site Map.
    I've already created one using WP8 which looks great and works well. I'd post a screenshot, but last week my three-year old Dell PC stopped working. I had backed-up three weeks earlier, so didn't lose much except that file. I opened the hard drive and found that the head was stuck. Now I'm in the throws of cloning that drive to a new HD. It's been a frustrating time in many ways, but I feel that I'm finally getting there.
    BTW, when you say that you had no problems with the Georgia font, is that when you use the preview function? Georgia indeed is faithfully recreated in preview - it's getting it published which has been the problem - one that I don't have if I use TimesNR or Tahoma fonts, for example.
    Thanks again.
    Philip

Gary,

That's v interesting and a great way of converting the WebPlus Site map to a Xara page using PDF.
    Thanks for taking the time to work on this and post it.
    Do you think it's better to do this than create a Site Map using WP8 (which is compatible with other devices such as phones and tablets)?
    Seems to me that if this works, then the method of using sub-directories (which I never got to grips with) is unnecessary.
    I just want an easy way of linking 270 pages to one Site Map.
    I've already created one using WP8 which looks great and works well. I'd post a screenshot, but last week my three-year old Dell PC stopped working. I had backed-up three weeks earlier, so didn't lose much except that file. I opened the hard drive and found that the head was stuck. Now I'm in the throws of cloning that drive to a new HD. It's been a frustrating time in many ways, but I feel that I'm finally getting there.
    BTW, when you say that you had no problems with the Georgia font, is that when you use the preview function? Georgia indeed is faithfully recreated in preview - it's getting it published which has been the problem - one that I don't have if I use TimesNR or Tahoma fonts, for example.
    Thanks again.
    Philip
    Philip,

Xara is entirely compatible with phones and tablets, but usually it requires you to create one variant and use Scale-to-fit-Width. I have no doubt whatsoever that the site map should be in Xara as should your index page, unless of course you want to do the whole thing in WP8. That's a whole different ball game.

I applied the Google Lighthouse performance test to my Xara doc and no problems at all. I would leave your WP4/ WP8 pages as is for now and call them from the Xara page I created to see how it works.

I can't really comment on why you had a font issue, but the example works in preview and publishes as expected. Updated XAR expanded to 1200px width.

Personally, I think stay with Xara, get the desktop version working as you want, then look at the mobile variant. Normally, I start the other way around, but you are where you are.

https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Preston/ a simple update to the first design.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Initiostar; 26 December 2020 at 09:39 PM.

@Acorn, I think the last integration bit should work? Happy New Year
    Gary
    Gary, it should but it is not my preferred approach.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gary, it should but it is not my preferred approach.

Acorn
    Acorn, interesting - I was thinking you could use class menus to condense the directory into categories which would create space for WebPlus pages to be called into a placeholder. Something along the lines of a page within a page.

The approach I have tried so far seems to work OK in practice; it just requires the primary back-links in the WebPlus site to be server-side redirected to their Xara equivalents to avoid going round in circles. The downside of course is every time you go to an external link you need a way back, the back-links achieve that, but I was thinking how can you achieve a more integrated approach.

What would be your preferred approach?

Thanks,

Gary

Lightbulb Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

Acorn, interesting - I was thinking you could use class menus to condense the directory into categories which would create space for WebPlus pages to be called into a placeholder. Something along the lines of a page within a page.
    The approach I have tried so far seems to work OK in practice; it just requires the primary back-links in the WebPlus site to be server-side redirected to their Xara equivalents to avoid going round in circles. The downside of course is every time you go to an external link you need a way back, the back-links achieve that, but I was thinking how can you achieve a more integrated approach.
    What would be your preferred approach?
    Thanks, Gary
    The simplest I can imagine:
    1. Prove the publishing of a Xara file to htdocs works.
    2. Prove the Georgia font works.
    3. Create the Home page as index of a new Xara design file.
    4. Recreate the Sitemap (Links) page as links of the same new Xara design file. Ensure all links go to current WebPlus4 pages.
    5. Set up required Styles and ensure all pages have H1 applied.
    6. Set up a redirect from the current WebPlus 8 sitemap to the new index.htm page.
    7. Add a page at a time to the new design file, keeping all as htm so they are unique to the new design and do not mix in with the current WebPlus4 html pages.
    8. Change the URL in the new links page to the newly converted Xara page.
    9. Calf off a new Xara design file if the one get too turgid when new pages are added.
    10. Don't add any new content until things are levelled up.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat