Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on internet

I have created pages which use Georgia font and some bold/italics.
    They appear fine on Chrome in preview.
    However, when they are uplifted everything is in Ariel normal.
    I am using Fasthosts and this is what they are saying:

P: The issue is simple. I create pages on my website using Xara. I preview them in Chrome - and they look fine. However, when I upload them, the font is not Georgia and bold/italics are not shown. I have provided screen shots to illustrate what happens
    C: It looks to me that the site has hardcoded references to fonts/css/images, which are not correct, so is instead returning 404 errors.
    C: https://imgur.com/a/f8YfJ6T
    C: I suspect that Xara is not creating an appropriate file path, and that when you are previewing it works because Chrome can access the local paths being references
    Philip Wray: Not sure the errors you show are relevant. May I suggest you open the Home Page and navigate to the site map to see the pages which have loaded
    C: I've just seen that you are one of our direct customers Phil. I will just pop you through to our direct support team.
    C has disconnected.
    Myrrh: Hi, my name is Myrrh. How may I help you?
    Philip Wray: I am chatting about Incident: 201208-000337. This has been looked at by four consultants so far with no resolution.
    Philip Wray: The issue is simple. I create pages on my website using Xara. I preview them in Chrome - and they look fine. However, when I upload them, the font is not Georgia and bold/italics are not shown. I have provided screen shots to illustrate what happens
    File attachment upload has started.
    The file fasthosts error 2.jpg (611.47KB) was received.
    The file fasthosts error 1.Spp (1693.69KB) was received.
    M: Please bear with me as I check.
    M: It appears that this concern has been escalated to our engineers. Our engineers have confirmed that this is a scripting issue and not a server issue. Our engineers recommends using browser's developer tools as it makes it clear what the issue is.
    P: Thanks for that. Please explain what a scripting issue means
    P: And please explain how I use browsers development tools
    M: It mean's the issue is with the script used on your site. As much as I want to, I'm afraid scripting is already beyond our level of support. I suggest that you speak with a web developer.
    P: Are you saying the problem is with the Xara program
    M: There's a chance the issue is in the codes used by the software. It is best to have the script used by a web developer.
    P: I find it hard to believe that every XARA-created website has this issue - if that is what you are implying.
    P: There are no comments on the Xara forum about this - apart from a suggestion to purge the server cache.
    M: We will not be able to confirm if the issue relies in the application used to create your website since we do not support scripting. That is why it is best if you can have a web developer check the script used on your site to identify the cause of the issue.

The images below are of the preview and the uploaded page

I would appreciate your comments please

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fasthosts error 2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	128518

Name:	fasthosts error 1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	128519

Default Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

Thinking about this, my untutored reaction is that they are throwing the issue at Xara coders. But as I wrote - this can't be true because every website created with Xara would not display properly - can it?
    And when they talk about browser developers, I already right-clicked the site and then 'Inspect' and it says Font Ariel; Bold, normal; Italic, normal. It's only telling me what is patently obvious - not WHY it isn't displaying properly.
    Please feel free to correct any of this.

Default Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

Quote Originally Posted by ewraysure View Post
    I have created pages which use Georgia font and some bold/italics.
    They appear fine on Chrome in preview.
    However, when they are uplifted everything is in Ariel normal.
    I am using Fasthosts and this is what they are saying:

P: The issue is simple. I create pages on my website using Xara. I preview them in Chrome - and they look fine. However, when I upload them, the font is not Georgia and bold/italics are not shown. I have provided screen shots to illustrate what happens
    C: It looks to me that the site has hardcoded references to fonts/css/images, which are not correct, so is instead returning 404 errors.
    C: https://imgur.com/a/f8YfJ6T
    C: I suspect that Xara is not creating an appropriate file path, and that when you are previewing it works because Chrome can access the local paths being references
    Philip Wray: Not sure the errors you show are relevant. May I suggest you open the Home Page and navigate to the site map to see the pages which have loaded
    C: I've just seen that you are one of our direct customers Phil. I will just pop you through to our direct support team.
    C has disconnected.
    Myrrh: Hi, my name is Myrrh. How may I help you?
    Philip Wray: I am chatting about Incident: 201208-000337. This has been looked at by four consultants so far with no resolution.
    Philip Wray: The issue is simple. I create pages on my website using Xara. I preview them in Chrome - and they look fine. However, when I upload them, the font is not Georgia and bold/italics are not shown. I have provided screen shots to illustrate what happens
    The file fasthosts error 2.jpg (611.47KB) was received.
    The file fasthosts error 1.Spp (1693.69KB) was received.
    M: Please bear with me as I check.
    M: It appears that this concern has been escalated to our engineers. Our engineers have confirmed that this is a scripting issue and not a server issue. Our engineers recommends using browser's developer tools as it makes it clear what the issue is.
    P: Thanks for that. Please explain what a scripting issue means
    P: And please explain how I use browsers development tools
    M: It mean's the issue is with the script used on your site. As much as I want to, I'm afraid scripting is already beyond our level of support. I suggest that you speak with a web developer.
    P: Are you saying the problem is with the Xara program
    M: There's a chance the issue is in the codes used by the software. It is best to have the script used by a web developer.
    P: I find it hard to believe that every XARA-created website has this issue - if that is what you are implying.
    P: There are no comments on the Xara forum about this - apart from a suggestion to purge the server cache.
    M: We will not be able to confirm if the issue relies in the application used to create your website since we do not support scripting. That is why it is best if you can have a web developer check the script used on your site to identify the cause of the issue.

The images below are of the preview and the uploaded page

I would appreciate your comments please

Name:	fasthosts error 2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	128518

Name:	fasthosts error 1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	128519
    OK Philip, there is a lot to comment on here.

The principal one is the 404 errors are telling me you are publishing or FTPing only the HTM files and somehow you have lost the index_htm_files/ folder.
    So, it boils down to you are publishing to the wrong place or you are not fully publishing the Xara rendered files.

You will therefore get the default Arial font as there is nothing else.
    This explains why your Preview is fine.

There is no hard-coding of paths to assets (ever) in a Xara export; it is always relative and points to the index_htm_files/ folder.

Are you using an FTP program or the built-in Xara Publish mechanism?

The simplest way to prove all this is to upload your design file to TG.
    If too precious/sensitive, I can make private arrangements or you can share through Dropbox or other Cloud mechanism.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Acorn

I'm really grateful that you've taken the time to read and comment on this issue.

Went on my afternoon constitutional this afternoon, and when thinking about this realised that the uploads created in WebPlus8 all faithfully display the font. So the problem is much more likely to be something that I am doing.

With regard to you comments, these are screenshots of my server htdocs directory re: the featured page. The fact that there is no value attach to the first file presumably confirms your diagnosis?

Name:  Whats new for Acorn.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  12.9 KB
    Name:  Xara for Acorn 2.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  13.8 KB

I use the Xara Publish mechanism. But I've just uploaded the file using the Server's facility and it has made no difference

Thanks again for your help

P

More.

I had a look thru the Xara instruction files which I had printed out a year ago (all 539 pages) specifically Fonts, Text handling and Publishing. I can't see where I'm messing up. In fact it looks so easy. Open text box, add text. Save, Export, Publish (I retried the two methods using the Publish options in the left sidebar and at the top

I decided to try to open file whatsnewdec-a_htm These are it contents:

Name:	Xara file.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	128527

I have opened Xara Explore Web Space for this page and it is showing exactly the same listing

I don't know what they mean.

BTW - I think most of the 404s have to do with me entering incorrect names of files. Using htm when it should have been html and vice versa. I find the whole URL thing very confusing as different URLS mean different things - and yes I get that they refer to different components etc.
    Last edited by ewraysure; 16 December 2020 at 10:37 AM.

Info Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

OK, I've lifted your URL as http://prestonherts.co.uk.
    On using my browser's Develop Tools (F12), under Sources, the files in the index_htm_files/ are all empty.

I then tried http://prestonherts.co.uk:80/index_h...s/xr_files.txt directly to see what has been loaded and got the detailed IIS 404 information for this file, as it is also missing:
    Detailed Error Information:

Module IIS Web Core
    Notification MapRequestHandler
    Handler StaticFile
    Error Code 0x80070002

Requested URL http://prestonherts.co.uk:80/index_h...s/xr_files.txt
    Physical Path E:\Domains\p\prestonherts.co.uk-1082639696\user\htdocs\index_htm_files\xr_files.tx t
    Logon Method Anonymous
    Logon User Anonymous
    You have to confirm that this server path (E:\Domains\p\prestonherts.co.uk-1082639696\user\htdocs\index_htm_files\xr_files.tx t) is the right one for publishing into.

The image you proved is not the contents of the index.htm file, it is the listing of the empty files in the directory.

When I change the index.htm to index.html, we start to get somewhere.

I think you need to review your design files as you seem to have created a dog's dinner in the published space.
    Your default page for the URL http://prestonherts.co.uk is http://prestonherts.co.uk/index.htm. You are sending people Home to http://prestonherts.co.uk/index.html.

You are also seemingly publishing a page at a time through your Xara application; this creates the page.html file and a page_index_html/ folder.
    If you are unlucky, you can overwrite a prior page's assets if the page name is the same.

Also, for some reason, you have http://prestonherts.co.uk/index_1.html
    Unless you change your default landing page to html, you are going to get very confused visitors.

It is all fixable.
    I would create a main Xara file (Preston.web) with the Home page, called index.html.
    I would still link to the current Site Map for now.

Then I would convert each current page in turn but add it into the Preston.web design.
    Call each pagemmm.html, if you must, but I would be more adventurous and use a more descriptive filename and definitely a fuller Page title.
    You then change the link in the WebPlus Sitemap page.
    If that is not possible, you need to bite the bullet and Xarify that early on.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    OK, I've lifted your URL as http://prestonherts.co.uk.
    On using my browser's Develop Tools (F12), under Sources, the files in the index_htm_files/ are all empty.

I then tried http://prestonherts.co.uk:80/index_h...s/xr_files.txt directly to see what has been loaded and got the detailed IIS 404 information for this file, as it is also missing:
    You have to confirm that this server path (E:\Domains\p\prestonherts.co.uk-1082639696\user\htdocs\index_htm_files\xr_files.tx t) is the right one for publishing into.

The image you proved is not the contents of the index.htm file, it is the listing of the empty files in the directory.

When I change the index.htm to index.html, we start to get somewhere.

I think you need to review your design files as you seem to have created a dog's dinner in the published space.
    Your default page for the URL http://prestonherts.co.uk is http://prestonherts.co.uk/index.htm. You are sending people Home to http://prestonherts.co.uk/index.html.

You are also seemingly publishing a page at a time through your Xara application; this creates the page.html file and a page_index_html/ folder.
    If you are unlucky, you can overwrite a prior page's assets if the page name is the same.

Also, for some reason, you have http://prestonherts.co.uk/index_1.html
    Unless you change your default landing page to html, you are going to get very confused visitors.

It is all fixable.
    I would create a main Xara file (Preston.web) with the Home page, called index.html.
    I would still link to the current Site Map for now.

Then I would convert each current page in turn but add it into the Preston.web design.
    Call each pagemmm.html, if you must, but I would be more adventurous and use a more descriptive filename and definitely a fuller Page title.
    You then change the link in the WebPlus Sitemap page.
    If that is not possible, you need to bite the bullet and Xarify that early on.

Acorn
    Thanks for that!
    Dogs dinner!!!
    I've printed that out
    It'll take some time to assimilate what you've said - but thanks!

This is what's happened. I created a website of local history for Preston Herts using Webplus4. About a year ago I decided that this needed to be updated and began copying and pasting each of the 270 articles as pages in Xara. But I didn't upload them. About a month ago, I started to change the website. I created a Home Page and Site Map in WebPlus8 and linked the Site Map to about ten pages in Xara. The plan is to gradually upload the other 260 pages in Xara and delete the old ones created with WebPlus. However, at the moment it means that the old Home Page is redundant. I meant to put a redirect note on it - which I'll do today.
    So what you see is a metamorphing, a mishmash.
    Last edited by ewraysure; 16 December 2020 at 03:39 PM.

Arrow Re: Site fonts created using Xara Web Designer Prem not being correctly shown on inte

The simplest way to prove all this is to upload your design file to TG.
    If too precious/sensitive, I can make private arrangements or you can share through Dropbox or other Cloud mechanism.
    I did suggest this @Post#3.

@Post#6.

Thanks Egg for running with it.

@Philip - Xara can handle 270 pages but is happier with chunking into logical/semantic design files as these are quick are easier to maintain.

Acorn

[QUOTE=Acorn;632065]I did suggest this @Post#3.

You did indeed, Acorn. I registered this, but didn't know how to do it. It was only by a fluke that I got the right file to Egg.

Update.
    Armed with proof that the problem is a server prob and not scripting, I've been wrestling with guys at Fasthosts. Get this! One suggested they transfer my account from an old server to another newer server - with no guarantee that this will work. It would involve upping the fee charged. I'm digging my heels in. Why should I pay more when the problem is theirs.
    This has caused me so much stress over the last few days, and it's a bit of a relief that it seems to be not all down to my incompetence. Having said that, @Acorn, now I've seen the files in the server, I obviously had some uploading issues in 2015 - hence the dogs dinner of a directory. On that subject, am I right in thinking that everything should be loaded to htdocs? If so, I'll delete the rest. But I sense a word of warning in-bound