Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feeling chuffed with meself if I'm honest!

I have a website with 270+ pages.
    It was constructed using WebPlus4. This is now outmoded and unsupported and the site is cranky.
    It also suffered from not adjusting it's appearance on different devices, especially mobile phones and tablets.
    A year ago, I looked around for a new WYSIWYG program which would be compatible with WIN10 now and in the future and which would cope with different views on different devices.
    About that time Xara Premium brought out a release which seemed tailor-made for me and I decided to buy the program.
    I spent months copying, changing and pasting 270+ pages and then realized that there was a problem (Much gnashing of dentures and tearing of hair).
    Without getting bogged down with making many sub-groups of pages and linking them, the Xara software was not up to the task.
    I seemed to have wasted months of work and achieved nothing.
    Frustrated, I got on with other projects and the website was only a peripheral thing - tho some of the guys on here were helpful and supportive.
    Then, I had a notion. Could I combine the two programs WebPlus and Xara? Could I create a Site Map using Webplus and link all 270 pages created using Xara through the Site Map? If this could be done, I would have the best of both worlds.
    I experimented. I gained access to the host server using Cyberduck to see what was going on - and what was possible.
    It was do-able!
    A bonus was that I saw that eventually I could scrap WebPlus4 with all its bugs and upload the Home Page and Site Map to WebPlus8. This meant that as well as a resizing of pages from Xara, I also had the same facility of making mobile-ready two pages with WP8.
    I have now created a new Home Page using WP8, linked it to the old Site Map (created with WP4 - and which will eventually be replaced with a new one created using WP8) and linked ten Xara-created pages to the Site Map.
    It works.
    All that's left is to create the new Site Map and link all the new pages to it - a week's work at the most.
    That's why I'm chuffed.
    Now, I know some of youse are going to say, why didn't you do this or that. But I worked it out meself and it is something I'm comfortable with.
    This is a link to my new Home Page: http://prestonherts.co.uk/index.html#home1 If you want to see some of the new Xara pages click What's new and use the links.

Default Re: Feeling chuffed with meself if I'm honest!

So you can feel doubly-chuffed: "why didn't you do this or that?"

The XDA is a tool. You used it.
    For what I've seen of your site, I believe it is all do-able in the XDA alone.
    In the end, it is what you are happy with and can maintain.

Well done.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

+1

You must be working on it. I couldnt get by the home page and couldn’t continue to the site. Lots of work. Thanks for using Xara, hope you can continue. There’s lots that can be accomplished with the software.
    W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    You must be working on it. I couldnt get by the home page and couldn’t continue to the site. Lots of work. Thanks for using Xara, hope you can continue. There’s lots that can be accomplished with the software.
    W
    Thanks for that.
    I've uploaded a redirection site. Please try www.prestonherts.co.uk again

It would be interesting to know what Xara could not do. Congrats on the huge site.
    W
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

So much content on this site, looks very interesting.
    Is it a group effort ?

Sorry I'm very badl with web stuff

Happy Holidays !

Quote Originally Posted by MarcT View Post
    So much content on this site, looks very interesting.
    Is it a group effort ?
    Happy Holidays !
    Thanks Mark.
    No - all me own work - but over several years.
    Not bad for a 'dogs dinner', huh!
    Pedigree?

Not bad indeed !
    I love the architecture of those houses.

Marc

A book maybe ?!