Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flip 'horizontal Icon'

For those on WD pro+ or WD desktop - is your 'flip horizontal Icon' acting up. Upon selecting anything, photo, object, or drawing - upon clicking on the icon the selected simply moves to another portion of the page. The same happens with the 'flip vertically' icon.
    If one does not use the icon, I've added a picture of the menu.

Thanks
    -Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flip_horizontal.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	128491
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Flip 'horizontal Icon'

No issues here (WDP 17).

There is a new feature in Pro+ and I think Pro X and locks the position of the center of rotation and this can cause some very unexpected changes. If this is the problem, click on the object again and then do the flip action.

This new feature is totaly crazy. It's as unwanted/unloved as the Smart Transform, another mad 'improvement'.

I'm forever creating new shapes then having to reset their origin to centre (where it always used to be) to do the previous default flip, rotate etc.

No one has convinced me of the advantages of this new, unrequested feature.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Lately, Xara/Magix seem to be producing a string of 'new/improved" features that one had a problem with before.....

I have to say I find the ability to fix a rotation point then create a sequence of new objects all with that same fixed rotation point, very useful, and one of the reasons I upgraded

but it's knock-on effects can be a mixed blessing, need to get used to them
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

... just a pity it does not work with the old style handles enabled in registry, but then, I guess it wouldn't would it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lately, Xara/Magix seem to be producing a string of 'new/improved" features that one had a problem with before.....
    Yeah, it sure seems like it. There are so many existing features that have been orphaned, I would really like to see the focus on taking these to the next level.

For example. All the great web animation transitions are all in transitions. It would be so helpful if they could also have an out option. e.g. Fade in. Fade Out.

And the dialog for setting web animations is a work in progress that really needs some attention and improvements.

But these features get added, then forgotten, when the next versions of the apps should feature improvements on these existing features.

I hear what you say Gary.... and Egg

Still, you can argue that the old rotation way was an unfinished work in progress - I could never understand why you could not anchor a rotation point in xara as a pro app; from a video animation point of view it is such a no-brainer

still one man's bliss is another man's sin as they say [please don't ask who ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Flip 'horizontal Icon'

I have no problem in understanding how the Flip H or V functions as it has always had this behaviour whenever the Centre of Rotation, CoR, is outside the selected shape.
    I am afraid it is pure mathematics.

If the CoR is not displayed, the shape is flipped about its mid-point. At times, it may appear to be a rotation but it is actually a mirror-flip.
    It all seems fine normally but when you flip an odd-sided star (e.g., equilateral triangle), it is more noticeable that the flip is around the middle of the bounding rectangle and not the shape's "natural" centre.

The next step up is the Set origin position, where you can position the CoR to the NSEW mid-points, the corners and the mid-point of the bounding rectangle.
    Even when the CoR is not displayed, it is forced to one of these nine points.
    Effectively, a click on the Set origin centre moves the CoR to the mid-point of the shape.

You can click-drag the CoR.
    With the CoR visible, select the same triangle, clone it and move the CoR from the bounds mid-point to the shape centre, the small x.
    A flip now forms a six-sided star. Remember to think mirror-flip.

Finally, the new feature is simply extending the capability of the CoR by making it sticky, particularly across pages.
    This replaced the tedium of having to create a datum shape (small square) at the place you want the CoR to stay for a number of repeat or complex operations.
    Old school, this had to set set up repeatedly. New school, set once. I still set up a datum square but I only need it on one page. An example of this is creating the tick marks of a compass or clock face.

I think the problem is arising now as few understood that you can drag the CoR to any position on the design.
    To recentre the CoR to a shape, either click the middle of the Set origin centre icon or two slow clicks to toggle the Show rotation centre icon off and on.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat