Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Selections in Xara Designer Pro whatever the latest version is.

I simply don't use Xara as much as I used too, but have inexplicably continued to upgrade as the very rare improvements become available. However having come to do some work using the the software I'm finding everything I draw inexplicably surrounded by a huge blue and white dotted line that makes doing anything that little bit harder than it used to be. I've searched for a way to turn this nonsense off and get back to the previous selection handles etc., but can't find anything that gets rid of these dotted lines,circles and arrows over every little thing. Does anyone know where the off switch for this ridiculous improvement is?

Default Re: Selections in Xara Designer Pro whatever the latest version is.

if you are using the magix distributed version, you need to make sure 'show selection bounds handles' button is active on select tool infobar

if using the new xara subscription pro+ version, see post #10 here :

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...436#post628436

neither solution is a complete roll-back - these are then 'fashion' these days, and I find them a mixed blessing
    Last edited by handrawn; 10 December 2020 at 02:48 PM. Reason: typo new keyboard
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've been furiously clicking the show selection bounds handles on and off most of the day and it has no effect whatsoever unfortunately. Any further suggestions? I'm getting to the point I usually arrive at where I hit it with my solve IT problems hammer.

which version are you using - what does it say in the help about
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Selections in Xara Designer Pro whatever the latest version is.

For XPro+: Registry Editor (regedit) > Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro Sub x64\17\Options\Selector Tool\ShowXCBoundsBlobs: set value to 0.
    For XDPXv17: Registry Editor (regedit) > Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\XtremePro x64\17\Options\Selector Tool\ShowXCBoundsBlobs: set value to 0.
    I am guessing for XWDPv17: Registry Editor (regedit) > Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xara\WebDesign erPremium x64\17\Options\Selector Tool\ShowXCBoundsBlobs: set value to 0.

Hope this helps.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

thr registry fix applies to the latest magix version 17 then ? didn't know that, I skipped over to pro+ from 15.1/16
    Nothing lasts forever...

I only use Designer Pro+ in demo mode* at the moment, but also wanted to voice my concern over "the huge blue and white dotted line that makes doing anything that little bit harder than it used to be".

Here are a few other observations relating to the new look:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-selectors.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	128498

1. There appears to be two selection points overlapping each other (bug?)
    2. I do partially understand this as Affinity Designer has a similar feature, but far more elegantly implemented, but compared with the 'old way' it doesn't add much functionality
    3. The centre of rotation graphic icon is blurred
    4. This cursor icon doesn't say rotate to me, more like skew in a straight line
    5. These dotted lines are too wide and get in the way of seeing edges of shapes
    6. Not annotated above but the side selectors icons are again unnecessary (obviously imho)

Thankfully the registry hack is available, but I'd much rather not have to delve in that deep.

*(you can't copy or save, but can paste from PGD to see what things should really look like, ie not blurry)
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022