Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Copy & Paste with transparent background

copying from firefox to an app is what we were discussing

you mention snippet tool - does this mean ffox does not use snippet ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

No FireFox does not use the snippet tool. The snippet tool is a separate application that copies or saves a bitmap of whatever you have highlighted.

long story short, if copy / paste doesn't give the desired results, save the image or file and then open it up.

yes rob of course

but you have not explained why it works in ffox, but not in edge.. edge uses the snippit tool then ?

what about other browsers

and if I try to copy/paste from affinity it ores not work at all - [edit from affinity to xda]
    Last edited by handrawn; 07 December 2020 at 03:15 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've said before - depends where you are copying it from, rather than what you are copying. You may get different results depending on where, as each application will provide different information to the clipboard.

In Xara for example, when you select something and copy, we'll create a bitmap copy for the clipboard, so you can paste and most applications will understand that.

Thumbs down Re: Copy & Paste with transparent background

I mentioned the Snipping Tool that Windows has, as in earlier versions, it handled the Alpha channel and could save out as a transparency.
    It does not feature in any browser.

@Rob-Xar
    I think your argument is somewhat circular.

I can open the original https://www.techhunt.co.in/wp-conten.../Imoji-Wow.png in any browser, Copy image and Paste into MS Word.
    I can then Copy from MS Word and Paste into my XDA. Staging like this keeps the Alpha channel and it is transparent on the XDA design page.

If I can also bypass MS Word and Copy image and Paste directly and currently into XDPXv10, XP&GDv10, XDPXv11, XWDPv11, but thereafter it fails, the problem is not the browser, the Copy & Paste operation but the Xara-changed implementation. Perhaps when you just binned 32-bit support?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have to agree with acorn - this as far as I can see is an issue with the XDA that does not happen with [some] other apps, so the question still is, why ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

It appears to import two different image files. Copy & Paste from FF imports a 32bit image with an alpha channel. Copy & Paste from Edge or Chrome imports a 24bit image without an alpha channel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	128452  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

so the browsers render the website differently

but it does not explain:

I can open the original https://www.techhunt.co.in/wp-conten.../Imoji-Wow.png in any browser, Copy image and Paste into MS Word.
    I can then Copy from MS Word and Paste into my XDA. Staging like this keeps the Alpha channel and it is transparent on the XDA design page.
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have even dug out Safari and IE and tried.

Works into the older XPAs from a Safari Copy image.
    Fails with IE & older XDAs' Preview.

It may be my XDAs all are x64(-bit) and have Paste Bitmaps with Alpha enabled.
    Just checked with XaReg and only XWDPv12 was not so set. It FAILed when I set it.

Even tried with Xara Xtreme 5, that FAILed but I expected it to as it doesn't have an Alpha channel setting.

@Egg, all your Bitmap Properties views are demonstrating is that your XDA recognised FF but is rejecting the others' Alpha channel, thinking it garbage.
    It looks like a refactoring exercise that failed to understand how the real world implemented the standard (badly) and that the prior iteration was more accommodating..

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

but it does not explain:
    No it doesn't HD. Neither does it explain if I save the image from Chrome or Edge and import it into Xara it imports as a 32bit Standard Bitmap with an Alpha Channel but if I Copy & Paste it from either those two it imports as 24 bit JPG without Alpha Channel. I would think this is more a Windows issue than a specific browser issue.

EDIT: Cross-posting here Acorn. Googling this issue indicates it's far more widespread than XDA. It seems to occur within PS applications as well as others. Also whether Alpha Channels are being used (32bit) or Alphas are being applied to 24 bit channels.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host