Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Grouping/multiple selecting popups

I've got a map of a shopping centre with a list of all the shops alongside - each shop shows a red dot on the map when clicked - the popup.
    I need to hide/un-hide a lot of the popups at the same time to check they are correct. I know I can use the "all layers visible" or hidden, but is there any way to select multiple layers (probably not) or any clever way to manage a long list of popups? Even scrolling up and down to the mouse on layer and then back up to find a popup is a PITA

Default Re: Grouping/multiple selecting popups

LGF, why not use the Preview as this is what you are delivering?
    If there is an error then correct the design and Preview the change.

You could try the following but it requires a fair bit of discipline.
    Soft-Group each Shape Name with its Dot.
    With All Layers Visible, when you click on either with the Selector Tool, you get a bounding box from the Shop to its Dot.
    It is fairly easy to ignore all the other Shops and Dots..

The discipline?
    You have to remember to Ctrl-Click on the Dot when moving it otherwise the Shop detail is dragged out of place.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

How many popups are you talking about LGF?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@LGF

You could create a 'marker' layer (at the top of the stack) that gives all the dots an identifier (probably numerical) and one that references each popup layer such shop1, shop2 and so on. This layer can be hidden when publishing but will always be there for future reference as shops change.

Personally, I would not use popups, but would follow an approach Acorn demonstrated a while back which is to give each shop its own page. When a dot-link is executed it brings that page into a placeholder on the main page.

The advantage is a visitor is not having to open and close popups, they simply hit one link after another and up pops the shop of choice.

Best demonstrated here: https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Map/

You can too make the shop page (say) 500px x 500px and it gets a lot easier to create your mobile variant.

The XAR doc attached will give you the idea and cover the 'marker layer' referred to above.

Just a thought.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Initiostar; 30 November 2020 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks for the ideas - really much appreciated.
    Will try out to see which works best.

Info Re: Grouping/multiple selecting popups

LGF, I didn't like the whole concept of multiple layer or even pages so here is just one dot:

JS - Just One Dot.xar

The "dot" has a Name of dot. I used a rounded corner rectangle of size 16px with a 50:50 linear Fill of Red/Blue.
    This avoid a bitmap.

Each Key (A, B, C) has a Link of form: javascript: $('#dot').css("left", "[mmm]px").css("top", "[nnn]px");
    where [mmm] and [nnn] are distances from the Origin (0, 0) in pixels.

I Locked the Map background and Shops (a, b, c).
    If you use the Guides Layer and Layer Properties > Guides > Guidelines, you can use the Vertical value for [mmm] and the Horizontal value for [nnn].

You need to remember that the "dot has a size and its position is set from top left.
    If you want to centre the "dot" you therefore need to subtract 8 from each value.

No extra Layers!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Can't understand what this is supposed to do Acorn. Should it move the dot? If i click on either A, B or C I just get
    a new index page saying:

[object Object]
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Okay, works in Edge & Chrome but not in FireFox
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Okay, works in Edge & Chrome but not in FireFox
    Typical. In using Pro+, it is a pain to cycle round my available browsers.

Change the Links to include void to avoid the new window in Firefox: e.g., javascript: void $('#dot').css("left", "661px").css("top", "472px");
    The change is good for other browsers. IE failed like Firefox.

Acorn

That works Acorn. I agree that the testing in other browsers is a pia as is testing in your default browser opening numerous windows. Still prefer the preview in in my default browser far more than the old IE method.
    Egg