Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lines to Shapes

Default Lines to Shapes

Afternoon, all -

I'm making a map from a hand-drawn image. To ensure the roads are a uniform width, I am using a line tool set to 16pt. I draw the lines down the center of each road and a uniform width is shown.

Then, to get the blocks to add the non-road details, I group the lines as a single object, convert it to an editable shape (Shift-Ctrl-s), put a large shape behind the road lines, and then subtract the shapes (Ctrl-2).

The result is not the roads deleted from the background shape, at least, not in their 16pt width. What happens is the lines are subtracted at, looks like, 0.25pt.

Is there any way to get lines to convert to editable shapes while maintaining the point size as a useable width?

Thanx!

Default Re: Lines to Shapes

Have you tried Arrange > Convert Line To Shape? This makes the line into a shape that can now have its own outline.

Then select the converted lines and Arrange > Combine Shapes > Add Shapes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line to Shape.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	128399  

Select all your Lines (1px Width) but then use the Contour Tool set at 8px Outer and finally Intersect All Shapes, removing the unwanted bits.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

If I follow your question corectly CKinTX you need to 'Change Lines to Shapes' first

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Have you tried Arrange > Convert Line To Shape? This makes the line into a shape that can now have its own outline.

I used the convert to editable shape. The info bar at the lower left then identified the object as a shape, but the subtract only removed the simple line object.

I'll give it a try converting just to a shape and see what happens.

Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Select all your Lines (1px Width) but then use the Contour Tool set at 8px Outer and finally Intersect All Shapes, removing the unwanted bits.

Acorn
    That's a thought that didn't occur to me. Cool, I'll give that a try, too.

Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    If I follow your question corectly CKinTX you need to 'Change Lines to Shapes' first

I did, but I made it into an editable shape, not just a standard shape.

Thanx for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by CKinTX View Post
    That's a thought that didn't occur to me. Cool, I'll give that a try, too.
    Thanx!
    You're welcome. I hope it works for you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

just to recap

you cannot make a line into an editable shape unless you make it into a shape first.. as has been pointed out
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

OK, I see what I did wrong. The convert to editable shape doesn't take into account the properties of a line. Convert line to shape, being specific to lines does.

That did it! Thanx!