Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hosting

Default hosting

Hi

I’m looking for a new host, has anyone got any recommendations, who to avoid and issue they’ve had etc?

Default Re: hosting

I think you need to be a bit more specific about what you will want your host to do. For example, do you just want to host a very simple website with relatively few visitors, or are you going going to have high bandwidth and resell websites that you design with a database and CMS and all kinds of stuff?

Currently I'm using www.1and1.co.uk (BTW if you decide to go with them let me send you a referall link) and they have been reliable though I don't think they are the cheapest. Prior to that I was with WebFusion, who were reliable but expensive for the package I had, but look cheap for simple packages.

Along the way between WebFusion and 1and1.co.uk I tried a very small provider who despite what the advertising said was a complete disaster.

Good luck.

Paul

The host I have at the moment is a nightmare the php works then it doesn’t then it does, unless I check the damn thing every morning to see if it works It could be down for ages they never seem to resolve the issues with it, and my patience has finally run out with them after a months worth of support tickets repeating the same info to their tech bod.

I guess I need is a simple package the supports php4/php5 to advertise my services/ portfolio and contact info plus a catch all email( I haven’t got into database’s yet and it’ll be a while before I venture into that side), not to sure on bandwidth as up until now I haven’t had a lot of hits, most of my bandwidth would have been clients proofing their sites before going live on their host, however if this ever became a problem I could move that part to some free web space I have with my isp (although not very professional)

I’ll let you know if I take 1and1 up Paul

Well, webhosting, I use www.navhost.com and I've never found anyone better.
    I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest there is, and with a 99% uptime, if there's a problem, it's fixed over an hour or two.
    Server crashed once, but ALL homepages on it was saved, and the server was back up within hours.

*my 2 cents*

All I can say is, stay away from midPhase, AnHosting (and StartLogic)... They should be publically flogged - then shot - for all the pain they cause people.

Here's a review I wrote from my Scudfish blog.

This is the original link NOTE! There is no need to click it (it's all here!) Only posting the link for bots to show/emphasize(sp?) the original source.

This is a real-life web hosting review of ANHosting and midPhase (Yes, they are the same company…) This is all based on personal experiences, conclusions, and speculations…

Where am I now? I’m hosting multiple WordPress sites with A2Hosting and so far (couple of months… almost a year now…) they kick butt!

(1)
    ANHosting / midPhase web hosting downtime — it’s like an Italian soccer player = frequently down and seemingly dying… And they always scream, whine and cry when you ask them to get up. In fact, it’s easier to measure downtime than uptime with this company. My worst downtime for the first few months of 2007 was almost two days! Even hoping for a 97.0% uptimes is silly if you factor in how often your remote MySQL server won’t be reachable: you will be killing yourself!

For the web rookies out there… 1 hour a day on average down-time — matters! Being down for 6 hours at a stretch and you are in trouble if you are providing a service or selling anything! Being down for 2 days: you could get damage to the point where you lose customers, if you are a small business. The sickest part… It all happens monthly — and more often than that!

If you provide a service where people need to contact you or your site because of medical support reasons — ANHosting and midPhase could get people killed or hurt. Don’t count on a support forum to be there when needed, because it probably won’t be…

Here’s the beauty of this review — Don’t take my word for it! Try it yourself if you dare! Just make sure that it’s not a critical website. Do also watch the MySQL queries as that’s where they fail/cheat the most when it comes to stats. Yes, and do thank me later!

When government bodies finally start to properly regulate this field — I hope they go to ANHosting and midPhase first.
    Review verdict: sucks!

(2) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting extra services — You pay extra money to have a static IP address, and they keep changing it! Their explanation: “It’s not stated anywhere in our TOS that we can’t change it” (over and over again). That may perhaps be — except for the actual title of this extra-fee service?

STATIC: definition: Fixed; stationary… But hey, that’s the English language definition. Perhaps static means something all together different in Russian?

(3) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting support language — Rude and Russian only… Take your pick! Everyone working for this company seems to have a Russian name. Also, have many goddamned ways can you spell “Alexander”? When you leave them, make sure you cancel your credit card (personal suspicion and tip!)

Note that I wrote “when you leave” and not “if you leave”. You can check the Better Business Bureau site and the Web on general for complaints about that one.

(4) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting: live chat — it’s almost always automated: “Please submit a written ticket online (that we can ignore)”.
    Getting your support ticket answered is like being 5 years old and waiting for Santa Claus: It takes forever for him to show up, and when he finally does — he never delivers what you asked for. You can also not ask him to correct anything, because as soon as you start asking the question: he disappears up that deep dark place where he came from, and won’t be seen again for an eternity.

(5) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting: Their servers are incredibly slow… I suspect that their servers are simply some Nintendo DSs duct-taped together. Ok, you will get used to the fact that your website is incredibly slow… In fact, you will ecstatic when your website is incredibly slow, because at least it’s up! See #1.

(6) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting online reviews: They are number one everywhere because they spend more money than any other web hosting company to be number one on those useless and fraudulent review sites. I imagine that they allocate all the money from people (like me) that cancel their services to pay for positioning on online review (sponsored result) sites.

Check out the “real-world” customer testimonials: Same vocabulary and writing as Akexander, Alexey, and Alex in tech support. Planted nonsense? Nahhh… You think?!

(7) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting MTBF: When your server completely up and dies again (and do note that I write WHEN and not IF…) it will take them 2-3 days to get a new box installed, and to have the data recovered. This makes me think that they don’t have any technicians what so ever to maintain the hardware they use. I suspect they rely on Dell Home Support, just like any other average grandmother.

(8) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting redundancy: They only speak Rude or Russian, so the word “redundancy” is as foreign of a word as “customer service”, “backups”, “timely”, “quality”, “sorry”, and “refund”.
    As in the previous point, WHEN your server dies… Don’t rely solely on ANHosting / midPhase to have a recent backup of your data.

The last time when the server I was on crashed and burned, the most recent data they could recover was almost two weeks old! Do they perform backups every day? I don’t think so… Do they store the most recent data on same server as the sites themselves Probably!

(9) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting plans: they are completely ridiculous… Of course they can offer thousands of GBs in bandwidth because you will never be allowed to use it all! If you ever get to a tenth of that usage — you will be using up server resources to the point where you are breaking their Terms Of Service, and your account will be cancelled and your sorry arse booted out on the street: with no refund!

The ANHosting / midPhase 30 Day Risk Free Money Back Guarantee is just that… 30 days… The other 335 days of the year you are on your own. They only cover 7%…

Of course they can offer hundreds of GBs in storage because you will not be able to use it all… Before you get all that data uploaded to their slow servers, it will have crashed again. And as mentioned before — “backups” is just a marketing term to these people — so, you would have to upload it again, again and again…

Also, why bother spending weeks trying to upload hundreds GB’s of data in the first place? Your site is always down and people can’t access it anyway?

(10) ANHosting / midPhase web hosting as a company: History — midPhase was started in 2003 by two college students and less than two thousand dollars. Ok, I admit that it’s pretty impressive that you can go from dorm rooms, to state-of-the-art in locale — in mom’s air-conditioned basement (or where the heck their servers are located now?) What is not as impressive is that four years later the quality of service is the same as two guys running a server in their dorm room…

Nothing has really changed: they are only screwing people on a bigger scale.

My ANHosting and Midphase web hosting review rating: 5 out of 5 sucks.

Conclusion: I’m not sure what is more painful — hosting your website with ANHosting / midPhase or bending over to pick up a bar of soap in a prison shower. If you want to find out: sign up with them!

Was this review too negative? I don’t think so… In fact, it might be too nice, but I don’t wish to write a novel, or waste more time on these scumbags.

Yes, I do realize that scumbags is plural… Perhaps it’s just one dude named Alexander working for this one “company”? Stay away from Alexander! You have been warned!

Updated January 25, 2008: Now the evil is three! StartLogic has merged with ANHosting and midPhase… Wow! StartLogic is still around! I though they went bankrupt years ago for their pathetic quality and track record of customer support. I feel even more sorry now for customer caught in this pathetic triad. Buyer be very beware!

StartLogic merging with these two is like an evil joke played on humankind. It’s basically a stain in the shorts of our very existance…
    Last edited by RTK; 12 May 2008 at 02:08 PM.

In this site http://www.thewebpole.com/ for hosting service...It provides domain name register, domain appraisal, online file folder, ssl certificate etc... visit for more details.

I host all my sites with IXWebhosting
    They have 24/7 help and a lot of CMS applications that can be automatically installed. I once needed a php.ini file and they did that on their end.

They are 99.9% up on their status, rarely see any downtime (except for one DDoS attack last week, that rare though)

Very good prices, everything available from E-commerce to adding domains. All the tools you need for php, mysql, postgres, file management...

I've been hosting with them since 1999

Reputable ISPs are not hard to find; e.g. HostPapa here in Toronto, which I've had good experience with. Avoid the many little Mickey Mouse resellers that are out there, outfits that are simply reselling server space from the larger companies.
    Phil Thompson

More from the UK... I have generally been happy with Easyspace.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I use Go Daddy.com and they have been quite reliable. Their prices seem to be reasonable too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.