Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Insert HTML

Default Insert HTML

I have a website created with web designer premium and my problem is that the website does not refresh when accessed. This happens with all browsers and all people visiting the site. I have read the previous posts on this but wondered if this had been addressed in future releases. I do believe I can add, location.reload() to the header and this may work but I cannot find a way to view the HTML code. Any help much appreciated.

Default Re: Insert HTML

Quote Originally Posted by wag28 View Post
    I have a website created with web designer premium and my problem is that the website does not refresh when accessed. This happens with all browsers and all people visiting the site. I have read the previous posts on this but wondered if this had been addressed in future releases. I do believe I can add, location.reload() to the header and this may work but I cannot find a way to view the HTML code. Any help much appreciated.
    Just Preview, right-click and pick View Source to see the page HTML.

To interact more, view in a real browser and press F12 to get to Developer Tools.

By "accessed", I presume you mean when update and published.

A viewer can press Ctrl+F5 to clear the browser cache so this might work.
    Server caching is another matter altogether. http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...+acorn+caching covers both.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Just Preview, right-click and pick View Source to see the page HTML.

To interact more, view in a real browser and press F12 to get to Developer Tools.

By "accessed", I presume you mean when update and published.

A viewer can press Ctrl+F5 to clear the browser cache so this might work.
    Server caching is another matter altogether. http://www.google.com/search?q=site%...+acorn+caching covers both.

Acorn
    Thanks for the reply Acorn, so I assume that the program does not have inbuilt code to auto refresh browser. As an earlier post stated it looks pretty naff if you have to have a notice saying press f5 to see latest updates. Surely this would be a minor tweek to the coding to ensure everyone visiting the page gets the latest view. Is there a way to put the code in the header to auto refresh page om loading.

I'm not sure if this still works. Acorn created this code some years back to force the page to reload.

<title>index</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Windows-1252"/>
    <meta name="Generator" content="Xara HTML filter v.4.1.2.673"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="index_htm_files/xr_main.css"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="index_htm_files/xr_text.css"/>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/roe.js"></script>
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
    </head>

Info Re: Insert HTML

Quote Originally Posted by wag28 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Acorn, so I assume that the program does not have inbuilt code to auto refresh browser. As an earlier post stated it looks pretty naff if you have to have a notice saying press f5 to see latest updates. Surely this would be a minor tweek to the coding to ensure everyone visiting the page gets the latest view. Is there a way to put the code in the header to auto refresh page om loading.
    Yes, it would be naff as suggested earlier. The problem is I don't know the circumstances you are in.

It is Ctrl+F5 (not F5; F5 is just reload what I have in front of me) when you are developing and previewing a lot locally and your browser keeps the things you loaded previously.
    That would usually just impact you.

You mentioned "accessed", which I questioned but you bypassed answering, believing you have to force a refresh.

If you are publishing frequently, we have three situations:
    1. Frequent users might experience local browser caching. So, potentially, changing the caching time of assets at the server is possible. A quick fix might be to add the code to the site's head but you wouldn't want that forever as your site's performance would be naff.
    2. You are publishing to the wrong area.
    3. You have server caching issues.

Without your fuller description, we can only suggest.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

A possibly better, temporary, fix might be a strategic button with link code of "javascript: location.reload(true);".
    This will fetch the current page and assets from the server.
    You would need it on every page.

I might use this approach in a heavy development or timing situation but never for a finished site.

Acorn