Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Imbed video has no preview image

I’ve posted a video at the bottom of this page. https://larrykrause.ca/index.htm

You’ll notice the video is not showing a preview still pic of the video. It’s just a black box with the start button.
    Is there a way to generate a preview pic of the file. It was simply imported. I did not use a placeholder.
    My Thanks in advance.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Imbed video has no preview image

Seems to work OK for me Bill.

EDIT: Sorry I was wrong I see no still preview image either'
    Last edited by wizard509; 23 November 2020 at 07:49 PM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Seems to work OK for me Bill.
    Might have to clear my cache. Preview still not up for me. Video is fine, but no preview. Thanks Wizard.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Probably just me, sorry but I didn't see a preview image either of course I know nothing about websites.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

ok here for me
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Bill

What I see is the image you refer to for a second or two, and then this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Placeholder is different size to video.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	128365

The black space above your video indicates its placeholder is not proportionally sized exactly to that of your video; this can occur when you resize the Xara Media Player widget by dragging the handles.

Two options here: (1) play around resizing the placeholder until the black spaces disappear - a bit tiresome, or (2) edit the widget's W & H from 100% to your choice, but definitely in proportion (exactly) to the original video. Then, with the placeholder / widget selected, manually adjust the placeholder W & H in the control bar to be EXACTLY the same as the W & H in the widget.

When you preview the outcome, be sure to check it in Chrome & Firefox - I would expect then to see the video as it should be and not jump from your black box to its start position.

It is from my experience a widget resizing querk. Doesn't work every time, but maybe worth a try?

check - I see the same as gary
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Bill

What I see is the image you refer to for a second or two, and then this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Placeholder is different size to video.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	128365

The black space above your video indicates its placeholder is not proportionally sized exactly to that of your video; this can occur when you resize the Xara Media Player widget by dragging the handles.

Two options here: (1) play around resizing the placeholder until the black spaces disappear - a bit tiresome, or (2) edit the widget's W & H from 100% to your choice, but definitely in proportion (exactly) to the original video. Then, with the placeholder / widget selected, manually adjust the placeholder W & H in the control bar to be EXACTLY the same as the W & H in the widget.

When you preview the outcome, be sure to check it in Chrome & Firefox - I would expect then to see the video as it should be and not jump from your black box to its start position.

It is from my experience a widget resizing querk. Doesn't work every time, but maybe worth a try?
    Will do. I figured as much. I just imported the movie and hoped for the best. I think I’ll treat it as a YouTube, and make a decent placeholder and see if I can grab some code from the mpeg. That was the problem with the mpeg, I had no code to work with, and had no code for the placeholder. The question now is how can I grab any code. Thanks for replying.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Will do. I figured as much. I just imported the movie and hoped for the best. I think I’ll treat it as a YouTube, and make a decent placeholder and see if I can grab some code from the mpeg. That was the problem with the mpeg, I had no code to work with, and had no code for the placeholder. The question now is how can I grab any code. Thanks for replying.
    -Bill
    Bill, I downloaded the video - it appeared as 1920px times 1080px and .mp4. I just dragged it into Xara and scaled it back with the handles to 640 x 360 (lock the ratio before you start) https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/Zvideo/

You could ditch the Xara Media Player, load the video onto your server and call it from there, but this works so I'd leave as is.

Gary

@initiostar Many Thanks Gary. That did the trick. 640 x 360 is the ticket.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design