Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bitmap Editor XPE Gone :-(

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    firstly - does your xara program work on your new computer? - you can install it on two, as you probably know, but as your update service is expired that woiuld now install at the version you last purchased - filters should be transferrable, if you have problems let us know

what I see in your PDF is a computer that may be playing up, and that may be a sign that it is time to seriously think about moving over

the magix nags acorn has just covered

are you having issues with any other programs? - if you are, that is more evidence the computer may be on the way out; if not then it might be a disk corruption / failing disk that is preventing access to XPE in the normal way

windows hiding behind others can be a sign of video or memory issue, or again a dsic issue with regard to page/swap file; it happen occasionally which is just one of those things, but if it becomes 'the norm' you should at least make sure your graphics and other drivers are up to date, run memory and disk checks

if problems persist a reinstall of the program may help, but may not; and if it is a hardware issue, it will come back

It's the new computer the HP Omen all this trouble is on; the old one has a much older version which has never let me down!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I might go back to a CD I still have and give up on this new version. I love Xara so much, so, so many uncountable hours of making things, I really don't want to spoil that relationship that has lasted since my Acorn Archimedes, in essence!

ok - if it's the new computer then unlikely to be hardware... still worth checking the drivers are up to date

the cambridge program is what xara uses to enable 32 bit filters to run on 64bit - it occurs to me that you may have a [32bit] filter in your system that cambridge cannot bridge and this is causing a problem

there were structural issues early on with 32bit filters not working in 64bit xara programs, but I'm pretty sure that had been sorted out by ver 16; however that is not to say every possible 32bit filter can be accommodated
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ray, thank you for the detail.

The first daily pop-up (possibly) and the other two can be zapped by altering the folder names of C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\Online to C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\OnlineXXX & C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\UPS to C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\16\UPSXXX.

The Effects Tool is Ctrl+F5, under the Photo Tool, seventh icon in.

If XPE is opening then the application is fine just Windows is hiding it away.
    Use Win Key + Tab to see behind or Alt+Tab to get to it.

Acorn
    Thank you for the tips! Renaming the folders reduced the pop ups to just the one at the beginning, and after a couple of restarts it seems the photo editor is mysteriously back. Wintab still hides it but alt tab shows it.

I have to apologize - I forgot the filters are now inside the bitmap tab; working on the old Xara as I do I expected to see it on the left and freaked out when it wasn't there.

Thank you x

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok - if it's the new computer then unlikely to be hardware... still worth checking the drivers are up to date

the cambridge program is what xara uses to enable 32 bit filters to run on 64bit - it occurs to me that you may have a [32bit] filter in your system that cambridge cannot bridge and this is causing a problem

there were structural issues early on with 32bit filters not working in 64bit xara programs, but I'm pretty sure that had been sorted out by ver 16; however that is not to say every possible 32bit filter can be accommodated
    Oh ok, that would make sense. Cheers for that info! x

Quote Originally Posted by Ray69 View Post
    Thank you for the tips! Renaming the folders reduced the pop ups to just the one at the beginning, and after a couple of restarts it seems the photo editor is mysteriously back. Wintab still hides it but alt tab shows it.
    I have to apologize - I forgot the filters are now inside the bitmap tab; working on the old Xara as I do I expected to see it on the left and freaked out when it wasn't there.
    Thank you x
    Never a problem. Better you freak out here than kick your computer.

Sometimes MS Windows is the problem for this.
    A cold reboot and a Xara Run as administrator might help.

Do install your second version onto another machine. It will save you grief later on.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Ray69 View Post
    Thank you for the tips! Renaming the folders reduced the pop ups to just the one at the beginning,
    Thank you x
    I think that popup at the beginning can be stopped by adding a firewall rule.

Add an outgoing rule to prevent "C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro X\17\DesignerPro.exe" accessing IP address 163.172.175.38