Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default My client wants a store

It gives me shivers! But our SPCA now wants a store. Tee shirts, caps, any such thing to raise $ for furry friends.
    I have an existing site made with Xara Pro+. I’m having trouble knowing where to start.
    I have checked out ecwid, it’s a free one. I would have to imbed I guess.
    I need bells and whistles as well. PayPal, visa, and also the purchase info must be sent to our volunteer treasurer via email.
    So what is everybody using ? Really wish Pro+ would look at a store front e-commerce module.

My Thanks in advance

Bill
    Www.northeastspca.org
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: My client wants a store

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    It gives me shivers! But our SPCA now wants a store. Tee shirts, caps, any such thing to raise $ for furry friends.
    I have an existing site made with Xara Pro+. I’m having trouble knowing where to start.
    I have checked out ecwid, it’s a free one. I would have to imbed I guess.
    I need bells and whistles as well. PayPal, visa, and also the purchase info must be sent to our volunteer treasurer via email.
    So what is everybody using ? Really wish Pro+ would look at a store front e-commerce module.

My Thanks in advance
    Bill
    Www.northeastspca.org
    Sorry Bill, Xara has always stated its outputs are for static sites. This allows the code to run from anywhere.
    To include a CMS and Cart requires a database for inventory, sales, discounts, customer accounts, payments and as many things you can shake a stick at.
    All this needs a suitable server platform.

ECWID meets all your needs but it will cost ($$$) and integration into a Xara design is far from easy: dynamic heights, main page interaction controls, etc.

Someone working with Xara applications has done all this already - xtom.

XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Bill,

How about Prestashop? You could use Xara and Prestashop side-by-side, just coordinate colors and graphic elements between the two. Keeping the two separate gives you many benefits: you can keep your Xara site as is and you use ready-to-run Prestashop themes.

Www.northeastspca.org

I set up Open Cart for a customer (same theory as Lex's PrestaShop suggestion). You do need to be self hosted though. Plenty to choose from with PrestaShop, AbanteCart, Open Cart and Zen Cart being the big boys.

Main site is Xara with a link to the store installed in a sub directory of the main site.

Hop onto YouTube and search for each name to see if any appeal to you.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I may stick with the PayPal widgets for each item.
    Conversely we might go with an Etsy store. Certainly integration with Xara is difficult. Link to a store works but requires more hosting.
    It’s a challenge, but I’ve lots of time to develop a strategy.
    -Bull
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

It’s a challenge, but I’ve lots of time to develop a strategy.
    -Bull
    Just avoid selling any crockery until it wears off.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Just avoid selling any crockery until it wears off.

Acorn
    Ah! You got me @acorn!
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

... -Bull
    at least it's not a tattoo.
    ~Fred

just don't have a cow
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I have used prestacart before - most hosting/cpanel plans will come with one click apps and it is usually available

Works great! I usually install it so yoursite.com/cart or yoursite.com/sjhop brings you right to the cart. Has integrations for paypal, amazon, and other payment systems including cod and checks and bank wire xfers for international people