Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Designer Pro X versus Designer Pro+ - should I switch over?

I have Designer Pro X and recently, via Update Service (which I just about understand) upgraded to the November 2020 version. Grand.

An email has come in offering me lifetime 50% discount if I 'change over' to Xara Cloud Pro+.
    This seems to be a combination of the desktop Designer Pro+ and Xara Cloud.

If I 'change over' from Xara Designer Pro X to Designer Pro+...

1. Do my projects open up perfectly in Pro+, or will something be missing?

2. Is there a cross-upgrade path (I understand that Pro+ is Xara's 'personal' version of Magix's 'tweaked' Xara Designer Pro X)?
    Or do I have to buy this other version?

3. If I start using Pro+, can I just delete Pro X?

4. Do I lose my 'M' Hosting?

5. Is Xara Cloud Pro+ 'the same thing' as Designer Pro+? I mean does the 50% discount apply to both? (See attached screenshot of email offer).

Now for the 'Cloud' stuff. I've read as much as I can find and it still leaves me a bit muddled... Cloud Pro, Cloud+, Cloud, with Designer Pro+ mixed in there occasionally.
    That's just the terms, haven't even got to the pricing yet.
    Thanks for the 'Update Service' explanation elsewhere on the forum, by the way, which helps a lot to understand what's going on.
    So, basically...

On 12th May 2020, I upgraded to Xara Designer Pro X for €104.88. That was Pro X11 to Pro X17 (called Pro X365 in my Magix account), in fact. A great deal!
    The Update Service will last until May 2021.

1. What do I actually own that will last, if I do nothing?

2. As a upgrade path, what's the very best option? Sometimes I wait a couple of years to upgrade to a new version (like from Pro X11 to Pro X17).

3. Given the Lifetime 50% Discount, what will it actually cost me?

Sincerely appreciate input from the forum!

Seamus
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Designer Pro+ Offer.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	128346  

Default Re: Designer Pro X versus Designer Pro+ - should I switch over?

Quote Originally Posted by XByrne View Post
    I have Designer Pro X and recently, via Update Service (which I just about understand) upgraded to the November 2020 version. Grand.

An email has come in offering me lifetime 50% discount if I 'change over' to Xara Cloud Pro+.
    This seems to be a combination of the desktop Designer Pro+ and Xara Cloud.

If I 'change over' from Xara Designer Pro X to Designer Pro+...
    1. Do my projects open up perfectly in Pro+, or will something be missing?
    2. Is there a cross-upgrade path (I understand that Pro+ is Xara's 'personal' version of Magix's 'tweaked' Xara Designer Pro X)?
    Or do I have to buy this other version?
    3. If I start using Pro+, can I just delete Pro X?
    4. Do I lose my 'M' Hosting?
    5. Is Xara Cloud Pro+ 'the same thing' as Designer Pro+? I mean does the 50% discount apply to both? (See attached screenshot of email offer).

Now for the 'Cloud' stuff. I've read as much as I can find and it still leaves me a bit muddled... Cloud Pro, Cloud+, Cloud, with Designer Pro+ mixed in there occasionally.
    That's just the terms, haven't even got to the pricing yet.
    Thanks for the 'Update Service' explanation elsewhere on the forum, by the way, which helps a lot to understand what's going on.
    So, basically...

On 12th May 2020, I upgraded to Xara Designer Pro X for €104.88. That was Pro X11 to Pro X17 (called Pro X365 in my Magix account), in fact. A great deal!
    The Update Service will last until May 2021.

1. What do I actually own that will last, if I do nothing?
    2. As a upgrade path, what's the very best option? Sometimes I wait a couple of years to upgrade to a new version (like from Pro X11 to Pro X17).
    3. Given the Lifetime 50% Discount, what will it actually cost me?
    Sincerely appreciate input from the forum! Seamus
    Seamus, everything you are asked is very valid.
    I will try my best and answering.

The LIFETIME discount covers both Xara Cloud+ & Xara Pro+ [Xara ]failing again over product naming clarify.
    This is a Subscription and the discount price is for both.
    Cloud+ is effectively your application run on a server giving you web control over your designs [Limited in a number of areas so you cannot built a website directly]
    Cloud+ allow participation.

Pro+ is the latest XDPX [without Magix interference]
    It has some small omissions from XDPX [few will notice and if they so, not worry]
    Pro+ will stop when you sub stops so keep XDPX loaded [If you remove it, you revert back to the bought version. A very BAD Magix penalty]
    You will lose Service M [It it labelled as a xara service but it is run by Magix and it very poor value (no SSH)]

You can trade in your remaining Magix Update service [you need to discuss with Xara directly]
    I would keep it running [you might be missing the eventual 4k fix otherwise]

The benefits. No Magix involvement. Cost equates to an annual Update Service. Fall-back is your installed XDPX. Faster updates. Better Help support. Xara needs Cloud+/Pro+ to survive so its focus ought to be keener.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

if you have the time [me having maybe just wasted a bit of yours, sorry] can you briefly outline what the pro+ omissions are ? thanks again
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you have the time [me having maybe just wasted a bit of yours, sorry] can you briefly outline what the pro+ omissions are ? thanks again
    EXIF, Xara Slideshow Widget Hosted by Magix) and a few others here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...098#post625098.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

thanks, I am a magpie for information !
    Nothing lasts forever...

as I don't use xara for websites full stop [period if you must] nor use the OCC up to now at least, most of that is not going to effect me I would have thought

PCFx LE's are useful; EXIF can be useful for me occasionally; - but these are still in ver15/16 that I have. and are mostly covered in other programs too - EXIF I am sure will come through idc, if the LE's don't it's no deal breaker
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Seamus, everything you are asked is very valid.

The benefits. No Magix involvement. Cost equates to an annual Update Service. Fall-back is your installed XDPX. Faster updates. Better Help support.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn!

So, if I understand correctly...

1. If I do nothing, I keep my Pro X including relevant Service Updates perpetually after May 2020, provided I don't uninstall Pro X.

2. If, after May 2020, I upgrade to the next version of Pro X OR renew Service Updates (basically the same thing), it will cost me approx. €100.

3. If I switch over to Pro+ and Cloud Pro+, I have a new desktop version and the cloud services (I can work from my iPad in the cloud).
    This will cost me approx. €100 per year, the same as upgrading or service updating the Magix version.
    I can also keep my Magix Pro X as a fall back in case I don't renew Pro+ and Cloud Pro+.

4. If I don't renew Pro+ and Cloud Pro+, I can keep Pro+ on my desktop and just work with that.
    Am I right about this 4th point?
    But if I'm not going to renew every year, there's no point in switching over anyway. I may as well just stay with Designer Pro X.

Re. the future, will there be a conflict between Magix and Xara? Will one of them eventually stop supplying the program? Or are both committed?

Right now, if I want to maintain regular upgrades, the Pro+/Cloud Pro+ seems to be the best option for the same price.
    I'm wondering, though, will there be Cloud Storage costs?

Seamus

So what is the price for an existing Designer Pro X user to move to the the Xara Pro+ Cloud? I saw the 50% lifetime discount but I am not sure what it is 50% off of.

thanks,

A reason for me to keep Pro X is the FX filters. Pro+ has none of the filters except Bitmap Shadow and Bitmap Blur. I think these filters were licensed from Magix. I use some of these frequently.

Thanks Gary,
    I will certainly keep my Pro X. Just not sure about the value of the subscriptions anymore.