Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default nwe rotation in pro+

in previous versions I could set a rotation point for bitmaps

this no longer seems to work in pro+

am I doing sopmething wrong?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: nwe rotation in pro+

Not sure what you mean by this, Steve. There is a new behavior that somehow places the center or rotation based on something that I am not able to wrap my mind around and that you can undo by clicking the selected object again.

Are you taking about the Fill Tool rotation?

yes that new behaviour that you mention [not fill]: it works fine for vector objects, but I cannot get it to work for a bitmap - a bitmap just spins on its own axis regardless of where the rotation point is
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes that new behaviour that you mention [not fill]: it works fine for vector objects, but I cannot get it to work for a bitmap - a bitmap just spins on its own axis regardless of where the rotation point is
    You may be trying with the Photo Tool.

It is done with the Select Tool:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoR for Images.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	128344

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I am in the selector tool

I create a quickshape I click on the selector tool infor bar button - set origin position - and I get a rotation point that I can move so that the quickshape rotates around this

the position of the rotation point persists, which is how I understood it would work, and is good.... a make more quicjkshapes, they rotate around the rotation point as set

but this operation does not work for me with a bitmap - it will not rotate around the point so set, it just rotates around it's own centre; and I cannot get a rotation point to apperar on a bitmap when resetting with the infobar button
    Nothing lasts forever...

ok cracked it, I think

the bitmap will only so rotate if you use the info bar to do the rotation - it will not rotate around the rotation centre point using it's handle, unlike the quickshapes, and unlike the previous versions

from my point of view that is a loss of functionality, my bitmaps are mostly drawing elements, not photos

I can get round it up to a point by grouping with a shape and releasing when done - but that is tiresome and clumsy
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok cracked it, I think
    the bitmap will only so rotate if you use the info bar to do the rotation - it will not rotate around the rotation centre point using it's handle, unlike the quickshapes, and unlike the previous versions
    from my point of view that is a loss of functionality, my bitmaps are mostly drawing elements, not photos
    I can get round it up to a point by grouping with a shape and releasing when done - but that is tiresome and clumsy
    handrawn, the rotation "handles" are actually there; move the pointer around the corners and the pointer chages. It is subtle and Xara has a knack of hiding thing, badly.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

ok thanks i will look into that
    Nothing lasts forever...

so...

square is bitmap - polygon is vector

select vector and click on show rotation centre - rotation centre appears

Name:	one.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	128347

do the same for bitmap - no rotation centre

Name:	two.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	128348

show rotation point on vector and move it
    vector will rotate about this point - as will any new vectors created

Name:	three.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	128349

but select the bitmap and the rotation centre disappears and the bitmap will only rotate around it’s own centre

Name:	four.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	128350

if I select both bitmap and vector- or if I group bitmap with vector - rotation centre will show and it will work for both - it will not work for the bitmap alone
    so I cannot drag-rotate a stand-alone bitmap around an offset control cenre, which I could in previous versions

I can rotate a stand alone bitmap around the rotation cenre using the infobar, the rotation centre does not show but it is repected - however I need to be able to drag-rotate stand-alone bitmaps
    so this is not the overall improvement I was hoping for, it will greatly impede the workflow

... or am I still doing something wrong?

... are there more than one set of rotation handles on the bitmap ?

Xara Designer Pro+ 20.5.0.60603 SL x64 Nov 10 2020

thanks for your help
    Nothing lasts forever...

ok forget all that

it's the show selection bounds handles that is the issue - clue in your screen shot

a big relief to me... thanks again for your help
    Nothing lasts forever...