Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Black Friday - any signs we might to buy the full HD version of Xara Designer Pro

you may well not need it for websites

I believe shipen does engineering drawing where 4K assists accuracy

I do animation, but to be honest as the end product is usually 1920 by 1080 I can live without most of the time
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Black Friday - any signs we might to buy the full HD version of Xara Designer Pro

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    I do not intend to buy 4k monitor. What is the hype about 4k?
    Good question.

Personally I have always found that I can THINK more clearly if my screen is at a higher resolution. But I was first re-inspired to go to such high resolution (4K) by seeing a friend doing general business including project management in particular on an Apple computer in ultra-high resolution. The general point is that it is SO much easier to see what is going on when there is space to physically SEE the big picture better on your screen.

Having made the jump a couple of years ago now, I would say that it makes me about 10-15% more efficient. It's not cheap - in particular the graphics cards can get very expensive, but personally I find it WELL worth the money.
    Nowadays, yes I also do also do some 3D /CAD work where high res is crucial. And for that I had to upgrade my graphics card a second time to get something powerful enough.

One of the best things about a high res screen is that you can just take screen shots all manner of stuff and drop them into you business documents (e.g. PowerPoint & Word) and they look fabulous.

Having tested the HD version of Xara at 4K, I have to tell you that it's just an absolute joy. It's a bit like asking the question: "What's wrong with my 10year-old VW Polo? It still works!"
    And then you spend some time in a high end Audi. Everything seems easier and it's just a real pleasure to use. And when you have a lot of miles to drive, when you are compelled to go back to the Polo it still works but it doesn't have the acceleration, the cornering is terrible and there is a lot of wind-noise and everything rattles.

J

I agree with Shipen. Having used Xara in an old 640 x 480 monitor years ago, then moving on to larger resolution monitors, then to HD and finally 4K this difference is quite stunning. Try remembering years ago when you drew a diagonal line on some ancient monitor and it wasn't a crisp line, just a very jaggie one. Xara's anti-aliasing was very advanced at that time and could beat Illustrator & CorelDraw hands down but even then there were still jaggies, just softer.

Then as you moved on to larger resolution sizes things improved. Then you got HD which was even better and these jaggies had all but disappeared. With 4K I just can't se them at all.

However a word of warning, a 4K monitor viewed at 3 feet away is great. A 4K TV viewed at 15-20 feet away will appear no better than todays HD TV's because our eyes aren't capable of differentiating any difference over that distance.

@HD:
    I do animation, but to be honest as the end product is usually 1920 by 1080 I can live without most of the time
    Don't quite understand that statement HD?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    @HD:
    Don't quite understand that statement HD?
    Firstly, call me old fashined but on principle if I design something to be seen on a screen, I like to see it as I design it, at the size at which it will be seen when it is finished - mostly std HD

But more to the point, animation involves an element of dead reckoning; it is not possible to work in real-time with rendering on, it would take ages to redraw everything, so most of the time the work is done in OpenGL view - ie no anti aliasing

so in xara I work a lot of the time with the AA off, and only switch it on to check what it will look like 'rendered'

generally animation can be designed to a higher res, but for me, that is rare... and bearing in mind your other comments, if it became more normal I would need to invest in a 32" minimum monitor, and scratch my head as to where to put it
    Nothing lasts forever...

@handrawn not only where to put your new 4k monitor but also what to do with your old monitors. I own 3 HD monitors and they work perfectly. Each to their own but 4k option is not a selling point for the work I do for me to invest in a 4k monitors. Same goes with my HD tv's.

including the 24" cintiq I also have three - the cintiq is 4K but at 24" that is only useful for close up work such as trace and overlay - as a monitor I run it at 200% scale

a 2k that sits on the side desk as an extension

and a 1920 x 1080 video monitor that is for playback, and a 144Mz 1920 x 1080 laptop ditto

I suppose I could do without the window and place one on the ledge - naw, herself would not be amused....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Why is no one using their HUDs with the new Xara object haptic feedback, you just pick up a picture and squeeze the red out onto the ground plane and when your hand feels damp enough, stop?

What? Oh I see, I've just Ctrl+Alt+Deleted my brain.

Acorn

I though the OP Question was about HUD, not HD.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

To get clear, my original question was about HD (i.e. High Definition) displays. And what I really meant was screens that are of 4K or above resolution.

I'm afraid that I have no idea what a HUD is. I'm guessing "Heads Up Display" (??) though how you might use Xara Designer Pro with such a thing I have no idea.

PS My spies tell me that something called "Designer Pro X hiDPI" will be released in March 2021. Though, given that they have already rewritten the code so that it works on high resolution screens, why the heck they can't release right now a high version of "Pro+" that you can BUY without being forced to only subscribe to... I have no idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    I'm afraid that I have no idea what a HUD is. I'm guessing "Heads Up Display" (??) though how you might use Xara Designer Pro with such a thing I have no idea.
    HUD was a joke.Being able to use augmented or virtual reality on a 2-D graphics was a bit OTT but ultimately doable.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat