Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Layers appear on preview but not when published

I am changing my website and to do that I copied the site, made the changes (mostly deleting pages) and published it. I mistakenly removed a page which has layers.

Along the top of the page there are five dates which when clicked bring up a map of the layout of my village in that year plus some text. The page worked fine in the original site and also seems okay when I preview it in the new site but, having published it, all I have are the dates and nothing else. As well as the fact that the page doesn't work I have a problem in that when I try various things to get it to work I have to republish as the preview option keeps showing it as I should be not as it is(!). Can you help please?

Default Re: Layers appear on preview but not when published

It may just be down to caching.

Browser - use a different one to view your published site.
    If it is fine then press Ctrl+F5 in your original browser , which should make it render properly.
    Server-side - publish to a sub-folder.
    If it is fine, check if your service provider or you is using any caching mechanism.
    Deselect the caching, publish and reset caching; you may have a period while things percolate across the Internet.

If the latter, then push Xara to sort our their coding: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...Xara-Resources.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I did try clearing the browser cache and also tried a browser I don't normally use but no luck. My website is hosted by Xara - are they likely to be using a caching mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by JFry View Post
    I did try clearing the browser cache and also tried a browser I don't normally use but no luck. My website is hosted by Xara - are they likely to be using a caching mechanism?
    Can you provide the link?

After that, I would expect to ask to have sight of your design file.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have been stewing on this and decided to set the page up simply rather than with layers. What I have done is set out my maps and text on one page which was just about manageable with a bit of squeezing. I have set the images to enlarge when clicked but now for some reason they are not appearing as pop ups but opening completely up. Sorry, not explaining that very well but the map appears on a black background and I have to use the back arrow on my browser to get back to the page. Once again, everything is fine in the preview. It's really weird.

Not sure if it helps but this is my page:

http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/village-development.htm

Sorry to be a pain but I've just noticed that the image on my home page which is supposed to enlarge as a pop up is also not working properly. To make matters worse there is a bit of text and a bit of extra picture at the bottom.

No idea what's going on with this. I have used pop ups quite a lot in the past without any problems.

Last edit
    I had grouped the image and text box on my home page. I have now ungrouped them and extra text/extra image has gone. However, photo still doesn't open as a pop up.
    Last edited by JFry; 17 November 2020 at 04:50 PM. Reason: home page pop up issue too

Info Re: Layers appear on preview but not when published

I have been stewing on this and decided to set the page up simply rather than with layers. What I have done is set out my maps and text on one page which was just about manageable with a bit of squeezing. I have set the images to enlarge when clicked but now for some reason they are not appearing as pop ups but opening completely up. Sorry, not explaining that very well but the map appears on a black background and I have to use the back arrow on my browser to get back to the page. Once again, everything is fine in the preview. It's really weird.

Not sure if it helps but this is my page:

http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/village-development.htm

Sorry to be a pain but I've just noticed that the image on my home page which is supposed to enlarge as a pop up is also not working properly. To make matters worse there is a bit of text and a bit of extra picture at the bottom.

No idea what's going on with this. I have used pop ups quite a lot in the past without any problems.

Last edit
    I had grouped the image and text box on my home page. I have now ungrouped them and extra text/extra image has gone. However, photo still doesn't open as a pop up.
    Thans for the link.

I see the problem.
    For some reason, the highslide.js file is missing from your site:

village-development.htm:18 GET http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/inde...s/highslide.js net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)
    village-development.htm:22 GET http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/index_htm_files/roe.js net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)
    village-development.htm:23 GET http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/inde...MobileFonts.js net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)

The other files above are also missing.

village-development.htm:24 GET http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/index_htm_files/ani.css net::ERR_ABORTED 404 (Not Found)

The ani.css file is there but not being accessed properly.

I cannot see any malformed code as the calls to the larger pop-ups are in place.

It is therefore possible that it is (1) your Xara application or (2) the method of publishing into server.

(1) Export locally to a folder on your machine.
    Check the files are missing.
    Try Run as administrator on your Xara application and re-Export.
    If they appear, re-Publish.
    (2) Sign into Xara Hosting.
    Go into Xara's Web Space and check the files are missing.

Look at the current situation: http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/inde...s/xr_files.txt & http://www.wonershhistory.co.uk/sitemap.xml.

Advise back.

Acorn

As suggested I exported to my desktop. I am assuming that when you say check the files are missing that you mean the page with the maps on?? If so, yes the page is there.
    I ran Xara as administrator and exported again. Same thing - the maps are there.
    I republished - no change.
    Signed into Xara Hosting and the maps are there too.
    The files in the index_htm_files are all jpg and png except for half a dozen css files. There are a lot of htm files loose (ie not in a folder).
    Last edited by JFry; 17 November 2020 at 07:00 PM.

Hi JFry I think to chase down your issue it would be best to attach a .xar file here. There's no need for the whole site. Just make a copy of your site and delete all pages apart from village-development page. Then attach it here.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As suggested I exported to my desktop. I am assuming that when you say check the files are missing that you mean the page with the maps on?? If so, yes the page is there.
    I ran Xara as administrator and exported again. Same thing - the maps are there.
    I republished - no change.
    Signed into Xara Hosting and the maps are there too.
    The files in the index_htm_files are all jpg and png except for half a dozen css files. There are a lot of htm files loose (ie not in a folder).
    Not quite, i wanted you to advise if the missing files were there after Run as administrator, there locally and there on publish. All the other HTM files seem fine. I was hoping to re-activate the pop-ups so we could work out what's gone adrift: you, your application or Xara Hosting.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Not quite, i wanted you to advise if the missing files were there after Run as administrator, there locally and there on publish. All the other HTM files seem fine. I was hoping to re-activate the pop-ups so we could work out what's gone adrift: you, your application or Xara Hosting.

Acorn
    Sorry, I’m afraid I don’t understand the difference between what I did and what you wanted. Annoying I know!
    I exported locally twice, once as administrator and also published. Each time the pages were there.