Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Accumuilating attached files - Why and How to Stop?

Hi

I've been creating an account of my family history on-line with each branch being a seperate Xara Designer Pro generated website. Each branch (website) exists in the sub-directory of a directory which holds the main menu. It all seems to work well and each website is of a manageable size.

As there are common features to each website (navigation buttons, text styles, design elements, etc.) I just save a completed website under a new name (once it is saved under the old one and uploaded), delete the text and graphics from it and use the 'empty' website document to create the next one (changing directory saving settings, etc, of course).

Some of the websites include attached pdf files which contain all the boring details. I have discovered that my latest website uploads an accumulation of ALL the pdf files which have been attached in previous websites, even though the images to which they were attached no longer exist. I don't know why this should be happening if there are no links to the pdf files in the document. Can anyone explain and "How do I stop it?".

Your help, as ever, will be much appreciated.

IanB

Default Re: Accumuilating attached files - Why and How to Stop?

Hmm. Odd. Can you just delete them on the server?

You can do this through Explore Webspace in Publish Settings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	explore webspace.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	128315  

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hmm. Odd. Can you just delete them on the server?

You can do this through Explore Webspace in Publish Settings
    Thanks Gary. I can delete them (and its helpful to be reminded that I can do it from within Xara) but I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or overlooking something obvious.

Ian

No, not odd it is how Xara handles external assets.
    If deleted on the server, they will re-appear.

If I drag a PDF onto my design page and accept it as a link, it has to be saved somewhere.
    That somewhere is %localappdata%\temp\XaraTempSupportFolders\. Copy and Paste this into a Windows File Explorer address bar (not your browser!).
    More detail and examples here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-New-Year-Gift. [@gary, perhaps another TG Sticky]

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn
    I'm afraid the information on the New Year Gift thread was a little too complex for me to take in. I'll just have to leave things as they are and put up with the extra uploading time.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Thanks Acorn
    I'm afraid the information on the New Year Gift thread was a little too complex for me to take in. I'll just have to leave things as they are and put up with the extra uploading time.
    Ian
    Ian, find the C:\[Your Logon Name]\xpa\AppData\Local\Temp\XaraTempSupportFolders\ (Copy this into your Explorer window --- %localappdata%\temp\XaraTempSupportFolders\) and delete the files you don't need in any sub-folders.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn
    I'll do that.
    Ian

Ian,

I have a suggestion that may help you avoid a future problem - create a semi-blank template with only your common content (NavBar, styles, named colours etc.). This will avoid redundant PDFs being saved across from one branch XAR doc to a new branch XAR doc.

1. Save one of your branch docs as (say) 'branchmaster.xar'. As I expect you are doing already, delete any content you do not want to retain (in this master) and Export the doc to a NEW directory.

2. From Windows Explorer, in the directory you exported 'branchmaster' to, delete the two folders, 'index_htm_files' and 'branch master_xar_files' and Re-Export your 'branchmaster.xar to the same directory. This removes everything and creates a new start point / master doc. Save this doc either as a standard XAR, or use 'save template'. Now, when you start a new branch, save it under a DIFFERENT NAME - BEFORE you add any content. Only PDFs pertinent to that particular branch will be saved.

BTW: I can replicate the issue you describe, that is for example take a couple of images, link them to PDFs save and export. Delete the images (and links), export again and you will still see the PDFs in index_htm-files. I think I understand the logic, but it would be better explained by @Acorn.

Info "Re: Accumuilating attached files - Why and How to Stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    BTW: I can replicate the issue you describe, that is for example take a couple of images, link them to PDFs save and export. Delete the images (and links), export again and you will still see the PDFs in index_htm-files. I think I understand the logic, but it would be better explained by @Acorn.
    I doubt it. Each Xara design file get an associated signature folder when external assets are added in. Xara's logic is probably if the linking object (Placeholder for PDF icon) is removed from the page, the designer may not intend the linked object to be removed also so it is kept forever.

Here is my noddy guide to adding external assets:

Xara - External Assets.xar

You have two main approaches:
    1. External Storage and Linking.
    2. Embedding.

Method 1. Xara used Approach 1 when you drop a PDF onto your page and pick Link. Xara does not tell you where the external storage is (%localappdata%\temp\XaraTempSupportFolders\).
    Method 2. I hide the PDF icon and used the destination address (index_htm_files/<filename>.pdf).
    Method 2a. FTP the external assets to your own sub-folder and link that instead - total control.
    Method 3. Use the little described Shift+Ctrl+Alt+A approach to embed the PDF file onto a Shape. Deleting the Shape loses the link to the asset. The asset remaining in its storage location. If you need the Shape, use Shift+Ctrl+alt+D.
    Method 4. Just use Link > Link to file. Deleting the Link, removes the link to the asset. The asset remaining in its storage location.

It becomes a matter of taste but I would probably use Method 4 for small-sized external assets & Method 2a for client work.
    I avoid Method 1 as a lot of the time I can be mobile or using different devices: try and remember to load up XaraTempSupportFolders. Not in the least also because Xara has been sloppy in providing a link to a "cloud" resource, all for a piddling little icon that will not scale and is very low resolution.
    If I am in a hurry and use Method 1 and improve with Method 2.
    Don't even try Method 3 with Xara Web Designer (Premium) as you do not have access to a Names Gallery and will be hard pressed to identify the Used files and when you linked them to.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 16 November 2020 at 04:52 PM.

Default Re: "Re: Accumuilating attached files - Why and How to Stop?

Each Xara design file get an associated signature folder when external assets are added in. Xara's logic is probably if the linking object (Placeholder for PDF icon) is removed from the page, the designer may not intend the linked object to be removed also so it is kept forever.
    Many thanks Acorn, that's what I guessed would be the case. The implication is when you delete any links (in this case to PDFs) the PDFs are retained in 'index_htm-files' and published.

Your Method 2a resolves this issue and would I think be preferable where you have lots of PDFs in different sub-folders; Method 4 as you say, OK, if there are not too many.

Gary