Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Origin bug?

Bug Origin bug?

Recently with the latest 17 update there seems to be some strange effects creaping in.
    • One was someone trying to resize an object re %'ages
    • The second was strange text alignment.

I'll try to refind the posts.

Here's what I think is causing them:

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: Origin bug?

Egg, the change has been documented and is not a Bug:
    Now you can drag on the center [sic] point handle to move it anywhere on the page. For example if you move it to the center [sic] of the page, then when you rotate the rectangle or any other objects, they will all rotate around the center [sic] of the page. Unlike in earlier versions of Designer, the visibility and position of the center [sic] handle is now maintained until you press the button again to turn visibility off. You can change selection, switch to and from other tools and even switch to different pages and the rotation handle keeps its position. To revert to normal, where objects rotate around their own centers [sic], just turn visibility off again
    You now just single-click to toggle the CoR on and off.When you do so it centres in the selection object.
    You can now pick any other objects and rotate then around this common point.

It takes a bit of practice but it is actually an improvement.

All Scaling uses the visible origin as the focus and always has done.
    So if you want to Scale in situ, click the CoR off (& on) and Scale Up or Down - everything seems to happen from the middle of the object.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

the centre of rotation is a definate improvement ....
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 November 2020 at 06:50 AM. Reason: unlike my dipepsia
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for the clarification Acorn. I did think after posting that this may be not a bug but intentional. But for the life of me I can't see any advantages of this change, just further confusion. It was very simple previously to set the centre of rotation to have multiple objects around a common centre. Could someone provide an example of where this change is advantagous?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Acorn. I did think after posting that this may be not a bug but intentional. But for the life of me I can't see any advantages of this change, just further confusion. It was very simple previously to set the centre of rotation to have multiple objects around a common centre. Could someone provide an example of where this change is advantagous?
    You can still select many objects and click Off and On to get the common centre.

The benefit lies in the CoR remains static across pages so it is possible to rotate items uniformly with a website.

I was always frustrated with constructions with changing CoRs where you mis-click and things go adrift.
    I can use this new approach to nudge items in a common collection into place by rotating rather than nudging up and across.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cool Re: Origin bug?

now i had a page where the origin jumps on another page, ... funky.
    no sicknature. for nearly 20 years. omg ...
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

i have to double-click so much i'm starting to get tendinitis (sehnenscheidenentzündung).
    Is there any way to turn this off, just it was before?

Xara Designer Pro X 17.1.0.60742 DL x64 Dec 9 2020

please !!!
    For many problems there are simple and easy-to-understand solutions that do not work.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post
    i have to double-click so much i'm starting to get tendinitis (sehnenscheidenentzündung).
    Is there any way to turn this off, just it was before?

Xara Designer Pro X 17.1.0.60742 DL x64 Dec 9 2020

please !!!
    But if you uncheck the Show origin centre, any selected object has the origin automatically centred.
    You can use the nine points of the Set origin position to move the origin within the object's boundaries without needing to see it.

The double click action does what it has always done.

Acorn

Arrow Re: Origin bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    But if you uncheck the Show origin centre, any selected object has the origin automatically centred.
    You can use the nine points of the Set origin position to move the origin within the object's boundaries without needing to see it.

The double click action does what it has always done.

Acorn
    i am so stupid.

:-0

thx & sorry

Quote Originally Posted by rsrsrs View Post
    i am so stupid.

:-0

thx & sorry
    You are not. Xara is in failing to properly explain how UI changes really work.

Acorn