Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Designer 17

Hello all, it's been literally years since I found myself needing your assistance (it's been so long I couldn't even remember the login, so I had to create a new account!). My business model has changed twice, but my tool of choice is still Xara, but I find myself in a pickle. I own an engraving business currently (laser engraving various wood products), and I currently have ARKVIS plug in for converting images to more of a realistic pencil sketch type of image, and a few others that have worked with Xara well, but don't engrave with the best of results. Engravers rasterize the image and burn them to the item's surface line by line, and I have found that pointalism and Guilloche (treasury note engraving style) tend to engrave the best. However I can't find any plugins for this function, nor can I find a method that doesn't take hours of implementing tedious control point modifications to get decent results. Effectively what I am trying to do is modify customer photos to look like those printed on bank notes but without the trim and edge designs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Frank.

Default Re: Xara Designer 17

Check the plugin named India Ink
    http://www.flamingpear.com/india-ink.html

Al

I downloaded the trial and it works in Designer Pro X but it does not work in Pro+

And the 8bit filter. The filter goes in Xara Picture Editor > PSPlug-ins folder.

Quote Originally Posted by capellan View Post
    Check the plugin named India Ink
    http://www.flamingpear.com/india-ink.html

Al
    Thank you both! As always I knew I could count on this forum. India ink does a great job of exactly what I was looking for, greatly appreciated!

It's a shame that DP+ does not work with the India Ink plugin. It's one of my all-time favourite plugins.

I've not actually used it much with photos or tried to achieve a bank note (guilloche) look, although I can see how it might work if you overlay rotated transparency blend (Multiply) copies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	india-ink-example.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	128288

Another approach might be to use the blend tool, to create blended lines clipped to manually traced shapes. This would offer much more control and precision. (see image below).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whale-3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	128289
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Correction. I shut down Designer Pro+ and restarted and the plug-in appears and works. I tried to find this thread and could not. Apologies.

good news though
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...