Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Xara Online website subscription offers

Anybody here subscribe to one of these Xara offers (link below) and are the domains 'https://' (secure)?

I don't generally 'do' websites but £6 (GBP) a month for the 'Website L' option sounds quite good to me.

https://www.xara-online.com/gb/desig...ebsite.52.html

Cheers, Jono
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Info Re: Xara Online website subscription offers

Jono, scroll to the bottom of the page: "Copyright © 2017 MAGIX Software GmbH".

You get a non-cPanel website.
    It is not SSH (https://).
    It is offering Xara Web Designer (not Premium), which has a highly inflated worth of £35. Xara should market this application as Freeware as it is so limited.
    It fails to mention the Update Service.

If you were to spend £10/m for Website XL, you at least get Xara Web Designer Premium (XWDP).
    This this the interesting bit. XL would cost you £120/y. XWDP is only £70 and you get Website M for free.
    This is, however, only 2GB of space; Website L is 5GB and XL 10GB.

Save your money, buy a cheap domain and use a free hosting service.
    • jonopen.info is around £4 for a year.
    • Out of the air, I picked https://www.freehosting.com (Czech Republic, which might worry some). This is SSH, 10GB, one email account and cPanel (and free).
    • That leaves you £116 to buy Xara Designer Pro+.

I use JustHost.
    My costs are £7.83/m. My two domains are £20/y. I have unlimited bandwidth and sub-domains and email accounts.

Final word: Steer clear of Magix. Consider Xara Designer Pro+.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Xara Online website subscription offers

Jonopen I have my hosting with E5host. I have unlimited bandwidth and sub-domains and email accounts 50GB unlimited add on domains for $4.00 per month which equals £3.09/m with cPanel. As Acorn says save your money and buy Xara Designer Pro+ or something worthwhile with your money. By the way with this hosting your ssl certificate is free so you will have https.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsyjoe View Post
    Jonopen I have my hosting with E5host. I have unlimited bandwidth and sub-domains and email accounts 50GB unlimited add on domains for $4.00 per month which equals £3.09/m with cPanel. As Acorn says save your money and buy Xara Designer Pro+ or something worthwhile with your money. By the way with this hosting your ssl certificate is free so you will have https.
    Thanks for the endorsement. It might be better to add it is 'rent' XPro+ as it is on subscription.
    I have no issue with that as it is a clean subscription model, unlike the dross of the Magix Update Service.

For those who hate any subscription, my suggested approach is try the XPro+ for a year and see its benefits and dis benefits. Then buy the latest Xara Designer Pro X and use that if satisfied and use the Magix Update Service on a needed basis thereafter.
    You can swing back to XPro+ in that year as Xara are offering a fair exchange. You lose the on-line access but retain the product. You then have XPro+ and a fall-back to you perpetual licenced XDPX. Make sure you use the LIFETIME voucher code when getting XPro+.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Sorry Acorn your right I should have said rent instead of buy. Just was trying to make the point that he would be far better off with better hosting and use his money more wisely without Magix.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsyjoe View Post
    Sorry Acorn your right I should have said rent instead of buy. Just was trying to make the point that he would be far better off with better hosting and use his money more wisely without Magix.
    We are on the same page and, I think, that Xara is slowly coming round.

My advocacy for the Xara products has never been of the "Make Xara Great!" type, more the "Make what we have, Sing!"

Acorn

Thanks Acorn and Gypsyjoe for the great advice. (I didn’t notice 'Magix' in the page footer!)

Plenty to think about.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

Go Pro+ @jonopen. I was a little leary at first but it sure worked well for me. I was surprised how the Pro+ worked so seamlessly with the sites I had designed with WD17. Never went for the Xara storage and domain, have a great service provider for $8 a month. Really wanted a robust cpanel.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.