Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating portraits with CSS and HTML

Acorn - Something for you when you run out of things to do. https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2019/...s-diana-smith/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portrait-new-1472x1472.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	128312  

Default Re: Creating portraits with CSS and HTML

Gary, thank you for that.
    She is however mad for not using a Xara Desktop application.

We actually have a simpler mechanism in our Xara applications already: the Rounded Corner Rectangle.

From this you can create a Circle or Ellipse or any box shape.
    This can be Skewed and Scaled.
    It can have a Line Thickness.
    It will accept a Linear Fill of many colours, including Transparent. Do not use the Transparency Tool; this creates PNGs.
    Start and End Point that are Transparent, with interior coloured points vanish in the design but are published properly.

With this one shape almost all of what she has been doing is possible, all without a single PNG or JPEG.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have a friend and neighbor who designed her home using QuarkXPress. Go figure.

heck I still do rough sketches with a wooden pencil.... on actual paper...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@ acorn

I think you may have missed the point
    Nothing lasts forever...

Cool Re: Creating portraits with CSS and HTML

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @Acorn
    I think you may have missed the point
    Missing the point would be to avoid Pointillism.
    If she is genuinely working in HTML/CSS then she has removed the ability to fluidly position shapes to create an image.

With Xara, you can at least build up Layers (like watercolour painting), and retain artistic control.

Her "point", as I read it was to have a mechanism that created realistic images that can be scaled without loss of fidelity.
    i assumed this from her statements around her CSS Font as well as her baroque paintings.

Her "rules" are:

1. All elements must be typed out by hand
    2. Only Atom text editor and Chrome Developer Tools allowed
    3. No SVG allowed (no offense to SVG)

My "rules", equally, could be:

1. Any placed element must be derived from a rounded-corner rectangle
    2. Only an XDA allowed

Pointillism's "rules" might be:

1. Any placed element must a coloured pixel
    2. Only an XDA allowed

Just saying,

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It's a sad reflection on TG at how so many threads focus on minutiae rather than celebrate the skill and beauty of the result.

Very impressive Gary.

I am not politically correct... but I am an artist [as in art school] first and foremost, and I know that the only sensible answer an artist can give to the question 'why did you do it like that' is 'because I can'

if you think that the final product is all that matters then you do not understand the artistic [=as opposed to design] process - I had a friend who did watercolours - they always ended up a mess, he was the first to admit they were a mess, but what he loved was the process of doing it...

I cannot speak for the artist in question, but I am not going to say I know better, because I know better [than that]

Missing the point would be to avoid Pointillism
    can you do pointillism ?

@paul - just seen your post - its very skillfull and very beautiful yes, way beyond what I could ever do whatever way i chose to tackle it, nothing but admiration...
    Last edited by handrawn; 16 November 2020 at 09:02 PM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It's a sad reflection on TG at how so many threads focus on minutiae rather than celebrate the skill and beauty of the result.
    Very impressive Gary.
    So I get marked down if I look at something, appreciate it and work out how I might do it and share my creative idea?
    There are some of us who think they are not artistic but would like to have a go but don't know any of the techniques: pointillism, watercolour, 3D-modelling, etc.
    For every true artist, there are a cohort of technicians who promote, assist and develop the art, not playing second fiddle, but participating.

The medium for art has changed over time. currently, it is the Internet. Tomorrow, it may be augmented reality.
    Computing is a case in point. I am an analyser, developer, designer, implementer and integrator by profession. Most are just users. Neither would exist without the other.

My reflection is TG is no longer a true forum where people can engage in debate.
    Every one is right and no one wrong so let's celebrate that.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    So I get marked down if I look at something, appreciate it and work out how I might do it and share my creative idea?
    There are some of us who think they are not artistic but would like to have a go but don't know any of the techniques: pointillism, watercolour, 3D-modelling, etc.
    For every true artist, there are a cohort of technicians who promote, assist and develop the art, not playing second fiddle, but participating.

The medium for art has changed over time. currently, it is the Internet. Tomorrow, it may be augmented reality.
    Computing is a case in point. I am an analyser, developer, designer, implementer and integrator by profession. Most are just users. Neither would exist without the other.

My reflection is TG is no longer a true forum where people can engage in debate.
    Every one is right and no one wrong so let's celebrate that.

Acorn

I feel we should be able to embrace an achievement rather than pick it apart and criticise it.

Is she mad? certainly, but I admire her for taking a challenge on.

Nobody is marking you and I didn't mention you specifically. By all means present your take on it.

I am not the TG police.

The joy is in Gary's post and Diana Smith's incredible skill and doggedness.