Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Info Web Accessibility Testing

I consider Web Accessibility (WA) to be the Superset of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).

Using this tester: https://ace.accessibe.com to nail WA and you ought to also get great SEO ranking.
    It comes with a accessiBe PDF Results document.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Web Accessibility Testing

Thank goodness I don't understand HTML (and some of the issues they cover)!

Seriously, how are us mere mortals that know nothing about coding (and if we did, could we even change Xara's output?) meant to get any meaningful position on Google search?

Lightbulb Re: Web Accessibility Testing

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    Thank goodness I don't understand HTML (and some of the issues they cover)!
    Seriously, how are us mere mortals that know nothing about coding (and if we did, could we even change Xara's output?) meant to get any meaningful position on Google search?
    LGF, you are now expecting SEO miracles and it all to happen for you. Design requires effort. Accessibility is not just an option, it is a basic right and you (as designer) and Xara (as vendor) have responsibilities.

Accessibility and SEO are the same coin. Luckily, you do not need to know much about HTML; most is common sense:
    • Every page should have one and only one Title. In HTML Terms, this is text wrapped in an H1 Tag. In Xara terms, you highlight a line of text and apply Style Heading 1.
    • If you have Heading 1, don't then omit/jump over Heading 2, which breaks the heading hierarchy.
    • There should be no empty Links. Instead of # to make an object have a link that does nothing, I now use "javascript:".
    • No image should have an empty Alt Text field. In Xara terms, you fill in the box at Web Properties > Image > Image > Caption (Alt Text) each and every time.
      • Xara has introduced Image Filename - you should include a meaningful name for all your major images and repeating ones like Bullets.

Xara needs to sort out Text Areas, rotated text and Tables.
    It has been advised many times and it is slowly getting there.

Overall, it is the one reason i upgrade my products: to ensure the HTML Filter is improved.

Again luckily, no one is perfect and so you are competing on a level playing field where even the simple tweaks above will make your ranking improved.

WorkPress is impressive in its accessibility scoring.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Web Accessibility Testing

Thanks! very informative and at the right moment for me.