Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default website for PC and phones and tablets

Hello..... new here and first post, pls bare with.....

Wanting to build a community information site with 5 or 6 pages, both text and some pictures. Wanting the site to be PC ready and also smartphone and tablet friendly.

Have read some of the posts on this and screen stuff and confused on some details. Seems Web Variants are used. Do I build the pc pages then enable variants? Do I have to flag everything I put on the PC page to auto copy to the variant? When I edit text on the PC page will it automatically change on the variants / how to make it do this.

See mention of Scale to Fit but not finding good answer in the help. What does it do for this need?

Went with Xara in part due to the ability to have smartphone and tablet friendly pages without manually creating three different pages.

Can someone kindly summarize the basic setup needs and steps? Some intro pointers or such?

thank you very much for answer and some direction!

Default Re: website for PC and phones and tablets

Hello Brenda & welcome to TalkGraphics.

Seems Web Variants are used. Do I build the pc pages then enable variants? Do I have to flag everything I put on the PC page to auto copy to the variant? When I edit text on the PC page will it automatically change on the variants / how to make it do this.
    Basically yes. A great deal to go into here but in reality that's the way it's done.

See mention of Scale to Fit but not finding good answer in the help. What does it do for this need?
    Scale to Fit is fairly new inclusion. It creates sites that are more similar to Responsive sites in as much as the content scales to fit the browser size. Again it requires more explanation than can be given in this brief reply.

Went with Xara in part due to the ability to have smartphone and tablet friendly pages without manually creating three different pages.
    In my opinion 3 variants are overkill. Two are fine.

Can someone kindly summarize the basic setup needs and steps? Some intro pointers or such?
    Well that's normally done via the Help files. Learning new software is a big learning curve. It's a 'slowly slowly catch the monkey' type of thing. But TalkGraphics members are very willing to assist you with problems you run into when using Xara software, just ask.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Default Re: website for PC and phones and tablets

Brenda. The best way to learn this program is heading to your catalogue and taking a look at the “initial start here” website. Conversely you can take a look at the classic website collection and open an index page and take a look. These are simple sites. Some are without a small iPhone variant, but you can always make one and play around with it. That’s how I learned a few years ago. I like learning Xara with manageable bites.
    -Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.