Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Info Re: Hosting your own Web Server

Quote Originally Posted by letsgofishing View Post
    @Acorn - how do I share with a client?
    You click the Share link and advise the address.

Try https://proud-mule-38.loca.lt .

I will leave it up for a couple of hours. It is my test-bed area with a clutch of nothing important.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 23 October 2020 at 05:44 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Hosting your own Web Server

Hi Acorn,
    I'm struggling with the sharing bit and sending the link.
    I copied the link and send it to 1 of my other email addresses. Received the mail, clicked on the link which goes to the tunnel website warning - this is really a no-no for clients.
    When I click on the proceed button I get 404.
    Tried copying the link and pasting in a new browser tab - goes straight to a 404.
    Such a pity as is is such a quick way to view changed to site - no more cache clearing.

Hosting your own web server as a way to demo to clients is just an awful idea.

You can buy non-Xara hosting very cheaply.

I use my own website with a client directory not linked into the main website.

Every time I want to demo a website I just upload it to a client directory and supply the link.

You can easily avoid caching issues by using a different directory every time if you wish - for example http://www.mysite.com/clients/bills-restaurant/v201026/, ..v201027/, v201027b etc. and you can easily refer back to old versions for comparison.

I've done this for years.

Do you really want to have a computer running 24/7 in case a client wants to check your design?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Hosting your own web server as a way to demo to clients is just an awful idea.

You can buy non-Xara hosting very cheaply.

I use my own website with a client directory not linked into the main website.

Every time I want to demo a website I just upload it to a client directory and supply the link.

You can easily avoid caching issues by using a different directory every time if you wish - for example http://www.mysite.com/clients/bills-restaurant/v201026/, ..v201027/, v201027b etc. and you can easily refer back to old versions for comparison.

I've done this for years.

Do you really want to have a computer running 24/7 in case a client wants to check your design?
    I hear you Pauland - I was just so impressed with the speed with which the site loaded after changes - the no ctrl+f5
    Never thought of the updated folder names....

^^^ that's exactly how I do it too, Paul.

Again, for emphasis, it is a local web server for test and development.
    It has the advantage, during development, for sharing a live SSH site with a client without having to set up something through your service provider.
    Consider it a pop-up test bed service for a client with no overhead. Use and discard.

I was extolling what it can be used for locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    It is not a publishing solution but it is ideal for collaboration.
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat